HPE SimpliVity Review

Scalable and less complicated to deploy, but backup and DR feature sets need work

What is our primary use case?

We use it for storage.

What is most valuable?

The scalability is its most valuable feature. It's also able to do stretch clustering.

What needs improvement?

There are a lot of features that they need to improve on, such as the backup and DR feature sets. I would also like to see it able to restore item levels, especially for databases. They don't have that right now.

The stability is okay. I'm not that impressed.

The scalability is good.

Technical support is okay.

We were using what is called a traditional conversion solution. We switched to SimpliVity because it enabled us to consolidate our nodes.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We used D-Plus. They're pretty good.

We have seen ROI.

It's about $10,000 monthly.

We compared it with other products, such as Nutanix and vSAN, and we weighted the features that we needed. This solution was the one that met the greatest number of our requirements. It's also less complicated to deploy and has a smaller footprint.

What other advice do I have?

The product is good. It might not meet all your requirements, but it is one of the solutions that met most of our requirements. There's no "best product" out there but this is likely the best for your needs.

I would rate SimpliVity at a seven out of ten, based on the features and the requirements that we have.