Hyper-V Review

I'm able to save space by running multiple Operating Systems and Services on only one physical device, but I wish importing/exporting were more robust and more user-friendly.

Valuable Features

It's free minus initial licensing for the OS. You can centrally manage multiple Hyper-V hosts rather easy with no extra licensing fees vs VMware vCenter. Having used both I still have a preference for VMware (especially for P2V situations), but for home/small offices Hyper-V is a great alternative. Hyper-V is included in Windows 8 and Windows 10 with minimal loss to functionality (mainly no Hyper-V replica).

Improvements to My Organization

I use this in my home lab, and I am able to save space by running multiple Operating Systems and Services on only one physical device.

Room for Improvement

I have not gotten to configure virtual SANs, but I wish there were more solutions for storage options. Virtual SANs aside, Server 2012R2 does provide a rather easy way to setup iSCSI targets with local storage. I wish importing/exporting were more robust and more user-friendly. Creating templates would be nice. I will say Hyper-V replica for clustering/failover is pretty sweet. P2V situations are a little more convoluted than with VMware, but still relatively easy. You just have to create a VHD image of the physical machine then attach it to a new virtual machine.

Use of Solution

I've used it for one or two years.

No issues encountered.

No issues encountered.

I run an i7 quad core with a total of 8 processing threads and 24GB of RAM. I have eight VMs on a Hyper-V host, but not all run at the same time. The most I’ve had run is five, and everything ran pretty smoothly.

Technical support is very limited. Knowledge-base articles on TechNet and public forums are all that is really available.

This is my first enterprise deployment of a virtual machine infrastructure. I used Hyper-V because it was already on my host OS.

Deployment is easy, enable the feature using the wizard, reboot, and access the management console to start making VMs. Implementation is easy, if you can’t set it up yourself, you don’t belong in IT.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

It's free, minus the license for the host OS.

Other Solutions Considered

I like VMware ESXi, I am aware they offer a free version as well. When I have time and resources, I would like to implement a new infrastructure using that. I’m very familiar with ESXi because we use that in our work infrastructure.

1 visitor found this review helpful
4 Comments
Microsoft System Engineer at Summit Technology Solution Real UserTOP 10

what you exactly wanna do with hyper-v?

22 October 15
Systems Engineer at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employeesReal User

IT *IS* free there is a completely free version of Hyper-V.. available.

KVM is horrible, VMware workstation or Oracle Virtual box would be MUCH better.. virt-manager is just a bad manager of virtual machines.

Also Hyper-V storage can use whatever Windows can use, so it's only lacking in storage if you are limited in whatever can be attached to Windows.

22 October 15
Thang Le Toan (Victory Lee)Real UserTOP 5LEADERBOARD

I regularly use the Hyper-V for visualization infrastructure Workstation Labs used in teaching practice all disciplines of Microsoft as SharePoint Farm, BizTalk Server, SQL Server, BI and TFS. Thanks to visualization methods Services running on Windows Server helped me save resources invested in ICT lab. But besides that I also found the use of Veeam Backup Replicate, Veeam ONE are extremely important, quickly, easily and safely. We always organize courses have practice and Veeam Online Labs recover quickly post.

01 March 16
Technical Support Specialist at PCMS DatafitConsultant

Sorry I have not had time to comment, I stay rather busy at my job and studies.

First, a little about my background.

I've only been in the IT field professionally for almost 2 years as of this comment. I graduated in May of 2013 with two Associate Degrees; Computer Network Management and Computer Network Engineering. I obtained my role of a Technical Support Specialist back in April of 2014, I started out with basic help desk support and quickly got thrown into the deep end of server management, virtualization, networking, and SAN technologies without warning or support. I may not be very experienced by most tech standards, but I certainly have a talent and aptitude for this career path. I have quite a few experienced techs who will attest to my abilities. My company's IT department consists of me and my boss. My boss handles high level infrastructure needs and planning where as my jobs consists of everything under the sun any my job constantly pushes my boundaries of experience.

I use Hyper-V at home to basically study for MCSA/MCSE certifications. I setup an AD infrastructure, DHCP, DNS, WDS, NPS, RRAS, as well as many other services and I have a virtual machine just for VPN connections to my office. I constantly use snapshots to test new services and I have a base VM that I exported and I copy when I need to setup a new one.

I was asked to write a review on Hyper-V so I did. I work with many software developers and I have turned them on to Hyper-V for home use on several occasions and have yet to hear anything bad about it. I do have a preference to VMware ESX and if asked to write a review on that, I would sing it praises. But as for Hyper-V goes, I think that it is viable alternative to VMware and best suited for home or small to medium business use, larger business could also use and would be complimented very well with the whole SCCM application suite.

13 March 16