Hyper-V Review

Valuable Features

It's scalable and stable. Working on Hyper-V is a wonderful experience. It supports our systems in parallel, providing us results that meet our needs. Moreover, providing more and more new features everyday such as Live Migration, CSV and so on.

Also, assigning physical NICs to each VM is wonderful with Hyper-V, as it distributes load and performs well. Otherwise, all VMs bottleneck to a virtual switch which is bound to just one physical NIC.

Improvements to My Organization

The main improvement to our organization is its scalability and the ability to support our system by running our applications simultaneously. It ultimately helps us with customer satisfactions and productivity, Failover clustering is another amazing benefit to my organization as we have dramatically reduced the downtime.

Room for Improvement

The networking component of the setup needs to be less complex.I have one physical server with four built in LAN ports (NIC1, NIC2, NIC3 & NIC4) and I want three more VMs on it. In order to distribute the traffic load, I want to assign one NIC to each VM with one for the physical server. This means whenever L needs remote access for management purpose it will utilize NIC4, but this needs to be simpler to setup.

Use of Solution

I've used it for more than two years.

We have four physical cards in a Poweredge R710 server with three VMs on it. We have assigned one NIC to each VM, with one for management purposes and remote access.

Initially we were using only one NIC for all VMs, physical servers, and for remote purposes as well. After assigning one NIC to each machine, the performance improved and is now excellent and reliable.

We've scaled sufficiently.

8/10

8/10

The initial setup and configuration is not too complex, but completing the networking part is a bit complex.

Implementation Team

All implementation was done in-house.

Other Advice

You should evaluate this product as it’s very easy to manage.