Hyper-V Review
Realized benefits in the smaller data center space, power, and cooling, in addition to the benefit from the virtualization layer

What is our primary use case?

We had deployed multiple Hyper-V clusters for various projects and even have the confidence to run it for highly critical production loads.

How has it helped my organization?

Hyper-V has become a real matured virtualization platform with Windows Server 2012 R2. The organization that I work for was having a virtualization environment on Windows Server 2008 R2. Since it was not optimally used due to the limitations with Hyper-V with Windows Server 2008 R2, we evaluated the possibility to get an environment on Windows Server 2012 R2. We had more than 30 racks with the majority of them running on physical machines. By the end of 2014, the number of server racks came down to 10 and we could confidently run majority of the workloads on Hyper-V. The organization has realized the benefits on smaller data center space, power, cooling, etc. apart from the benefit that the virtualization layer brings in.

What is most valuable?

• Live migration
  • P2V
  • VM replica
  • Snapshots
  • VM export and import
  • Dynamic memory, etc.

The advanced features, like Network Virtualization, have yet to be tested out, but I feel that they will be a game changer.

What needs improvement?

SCVMM needs to be more user-friendly. Without SCVMM, automating is not easy to use and we look forward to the upcoming versions of SCVMM becoming simpler and more admin friendly.