Hyper-V Review

It helps migrate all of our servers and saves us a lot of time.

What is our primary use case?

We use this product primarily for virtualization.

How has it helped my organization?

We can perform maintenance on equipment during the day because we can live migrate all of the machines from server A to server B, and then work on server A. This saves us a lot of time. It used to require working after hours for us to do this.

What needs improvement?

I think the management tools have room for improvement.

More than five years.

I find that this solution is very stable.

It is very scalable. We used four staff members for deployment, and that was sufficient for our needs.

We infrequently have a need for technical support help.

The initial setup was very straightforward for our organization. Once we understood it in the lab, it took maybe two weeks to completely understand it and document it. Then, we could send it out to our global branches.

We are a not-for-profit, so I do not see any ROI for us.

Microsoft should have not required a data center license for the new feature of Storage Spaces Direct. There is a new feature that comes with Hyper-V called "Storage Spaces Direct"  What that storage does, it allows you to use the storage in host A and use the storage in host B, and make them work together like they're one shared storage array. The computers don't know that they're putting data on server A or B. To them, it looks like one big pool of disks. Before, we used to have to buy a separate storage array, external to the servers, and tie the servers to that array. But this new feature that comes with Hyper-V let's us use the storage inside the servers, it saves money. But Microsoft tacked on a higher price for their software to use that feature, and that was just terrible. We would be using that feature more if it did not demand a data center license.

We do also use VMware vSphere. But, we use Hyper-V more. Some people have different desires. Some people want a Lexus, and other people are happy with a Honda. Both are great cars, but one is a lot more expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would like to see deduplication and compression in a future roll-out of the product.

1 Comment
author avatarChinnajee Rao
TOP 10Real User

Hi Team,
You GUY's discussed all real time problems.
could you also suggest about training solution as what are all the recommended training virtualization system admin could take as per current IT market?