IBM DataPower Gateway Review

Stable, good support, and is regularly enhanced with new features

What is our primary use case?

The whole purpose of this product is to provide high speed and high performance. From a security perspective, it takes care of everything including attacks such as cross-site scripting. Some of our services require that DataPower be implemented because of payment and other issues. To me, it's a must to have.

What is most valuable?

I like all of the features in this product and it does what it's supposed to do.

IBM is a good company and they keep working on it. The keep on enhancing it and make sure that new features are available when the legacy version goes away.

What needs improvement?

New users just starting with this product find it a little complex or difficult to use, compared to other products such as AWS. Making it more user-friendly would be an improvement.

I have been using the IBM DataPower Gateway for about 20 years.

This is a very stable product and it is a hard appliance, as opposed to software.

You can scale it easily by adding on appliances as you like.

All of the people in the organization use it from administrators to end-users. All of the applications use it.

The technical support is good, although it depends on your deal with IBM and the engagement that you have. Offering technical support is how companies like IBM and Oracle make money. When you pay more money and you're a big client, you are dealt with properly.

We did not use another solution prior to this one.

For me, the initial setup is easy. If there is any trouble then IBM support is always available.

As things move more toward the cloud, things may change. People may rely less on DataPower versus cloud-based solutions such as AWS.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product, although it depends on what country you are working in. My advice is to always seek out IBM support when you have a problem.

Overall, this is a good product, and if it were more user-friendly then it might be a perfect score.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.