IBM DataPower Gateway Overview

IBM DataPower Gateway is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top SOA Application Gateways. It is most often compared to IBM API Connect: IBM DataPower Gateway vs IBM API Connect

What is IBM DataPower Gateway?

IBM DataPower Gateway is a single multi-channel gateway that helps provide security, control, integration and optimized access to a full range of mobile, web, application programming interface (API), service-oriented architecture (SOA), B2B and cloud workloads. It enables you to rapidly expand the scope of valuable IT assets to new channels - giving customers, employees and partners access to critical resources. It is available in the following form factors: physical, virtual, cloud, Linux and Docker.

IBM DataPower Gateway is also known as WebSphere DataPower, IBM DataPower, IBM WebSphere DataPower.

IBM DataPower Gateway Customers

RBL Bank, Availity

IBM DataPower Gateway Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about IBM DataPower Gateway pricing:
  • "As far as I know, they have a perpetual license for this product. They are paying perpetual fees rather than an annual subscription or annual pricing."
  • "The licensing cost is very expensive."
  • "The cost of this product varies from customer to customer and the relationship with IBM, including how many offerings from IBM are already being used."
  • "It's expensive when you compare it with others."

JM
Independent Consultant at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Deals with multiple protocols, but "WTX" components are problematic

What is our primary use case?

It is used for simple integrations that require high speed, and you need to use it in a cluster if you want it to be highly available.

• "It's high-speed and it can be remotely administered via an API."
  • "The components that they include in the product that are, in fact, a WTX, really need to be removed from the product because they tend to fail."

What other advice do I have?

If you've got it, you should use it. If you haven't got it, you probably should be looking at newer products such as SnapLogic. It's a high-speed device. If you need an appliance on-premise, that would be the way to go. If you need to migrate something that's on-premise to the cloud, you could go to the virtual. If you're doing something new, you probably wouldn't touch it.
SS
Business&Integration Arch Manager at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
A security and integration platform that is very stable

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for ITM API for one of our customers.

• "I like that it is very stable, and we never experience any downtime."
  • "Traceability could be improved, especially for business operations. The traceability of the transactions could be an improvement point for DataPower to work on. It would be better if they provided JSON support. JSON protocol data has changed format. It started performing internal transformation to JSONx. This might be an additional complexity."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to other companies, especially large enterprises. I would not recommend it to customers in the SME segment or startups or scale-ups. On a scale from one to ten, I would give IBM DataPower Gateway an eight.
DB
CTO & Application Infrastructure Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Robust, good tools that make it easy to work with and install

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for exposing services to our partners.

• "What I like most is the stability."
  • "The two biggest issues of this solution are the complexity and the maintenance procedures."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend working on the physical appliance and not the virtual one. Consider the licensing aspect, and try to evaluate it three to five years ahead. Also, look closely at the competition as there are now quite a few good competitors, and make sure the features suit you best. I would rate IBM DataPower Gateway an eight out of ten.
RL
Cybersecurity Professional Services Consultant at a security firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Leaderboard
Great for controlling and testing usage and very stable

What is our primary use case?

I used it on-premises to secure the BUS, the integration layer. It helped us to comply with the GDPR, and, in Brazil, LGPD. It helped us to be compliant with the local regulations, local law as well.

• "The scalability of the solution is good."
  • "The product should be more adapted to the DevOps process."

What other advice do I have?

I worked with the solution at my previous company. I'm not sure which version of the solution we were using. I'd advise companies considering the solution to ensure they have some well-trained professionals to administrate the product. However, it is quite easy to architect the solution. I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.
RA
Executive Director at a tech company
Stable, good support, and is regularly enhanced with new features

What is our primary use case?

The whole purpose of this product is to provide high speed and high performance. From a security perspective, it takes care of everything including attacks such as cross-site scripting. Some of our services require that DataPower be implemented because of payment and other issues. To me, it's a must to have.

• "I like all of the features in this product and it does what it's supposed to do."
  • "Making it more user-friendly would be an improvement."

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product, although it depends on what country you are working in. My advice is to always seek out IBM support when you have a problem. Overall, this is a good product, and if it were more user-friendly then it might be a perfect score. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
FH
Partner, cyber security at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
Leaderboard
Stable, scalable, and easy to work with

What is our primary use case?

The product is a data-driven solution for big enterprise-level companies including airlines and banks. They use the solution primarily for customer data and gather feedback from the customers specifically. The solution is used for its user experience aspects.

• "The solution is very easy to work with."
  • "The solution requires a lot of training manuals in order to get to know it better and to be able to use it effectively."

What other advice do I have?

I'd advise other companies that are implementing the solution to make a narrow scope and be very clear with their scope before starting projects. I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.
Keshav Gaba
Middleware Applications Specialist at a pharma/biotech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Good control over incoming messages, with a helpful knowledge center and user community

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for reinforcing data security policies, routing, and doing B2B transactions. There's more B2B as well as the ESB, the enterprise service bus.

• "It can look for the various security threats, productions, payload scanning, and perform routing based on the content type."
  • "Some pre-packaged connectors for integration with various applications, such as SaaS offerings, would be a useful addition."

What other advice do I have?

I recommend this solution. It is a good security application and it incorporates integrations and the latest security controls that are available in the market. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
EY
SOA & BP Technical Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Resilient high availability, easy to use, easy to install, with the best security platform available

• "It is easy to use, easy to install, and it's resilient for high availability."
  • "In the next release, I would like to see the product price reduced. It should be cheaper."

What other advice do I have?

Definitely, I would recommend this solution to others. I would rate IBM DataPower Gateway a ten out of ten.
See 1 more IBM DataPower Gateway Reviews