IBM MQ Review

Reliable messaging, great throughput, and great stability

What is our primary use case?

We use it for application-to-application integration.

What is most valuable?

Reliable messaging and throughput are the most valuable.

What needs improvement?

We are looking at the latest version, and we hope that resilience, high availability, and monitoring will be improved.

It can have some more improvements in the heterogeneous messaging feature. The current solution is on-premises, so good integration with public cloud messaging solutions would be useful.

I have been using IBM MQ for 20 years.

Its stability is great.

Its scalability is okay. The inside scalability is great. We are hoping that the outside scalability is improved in the latest version.

Most of the users are just using the applications, and they are using IBM MQ without realizing it. In terms of the number of people really dealing with IBM MQ on a global scale, there are probably around 30 users. They are actually working with the product. There are thousands of developers who are using applications with IBM MQ.

I am an architect, and I talk with the architects of IBM. The engineers talk with technical support when needed.

The basic setup is simple. The deployment is fully automated.

We received the software from the vendor, but we deployed it on our own. We also do the maintenance ourselves.

There is real money involved here. As compared to RabbitMQ, IBM MQ is on the higher side in terms of cost.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution for similar companies. I am very fond of IBM MQ because of the reliability and throughput part, at least on a single server. On the consumer and application side, RabbitMQ seems a bit easier to consume. It is a bit ahead in terms of the scale-out feature.

I would rate IBM MQ an eight out of ten.

More IBM MQ reviews from users
...who compared it with VMware RabbitMQ
Learn what your peers think about IBM MQ. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,372 professionals have used our research since 2012.