IBM MQ Reviews

industry
rating
Sr. Solution Architect or Program Manager at a financial services firm
Feb 25 2018

What is most valuable?

* Can process large amount of messages in a small amount of time. * Integrates between distributed systems: For example, it can help integrate processing between… more»

How has it helped my organization?

This product has helped integrate between applications, reduce rework, and costs by reusing working components of existing applications, such as mainframe applications. At… more»

What needs improvement?

Many customers are gravitating towards open source products such as RabbitMQ, or going for a web-based package. Also, the level of training as well as product marketing… more»

Pricing could be better, as with all IBM products. But their performance in production, along with security and scalability, will pay returns in the long run.

Not applicable.

What other advice do I have?

Middleware family of products such as WebSphere MQ, MB, TIBCO ESB, IBM ESB, and MuleSoft ESB offer excellent choices in architecture and re-engineering of software… more»

There are other products available, such as TIBCO ESB, and we have many clients who are using that.
Principal Solution Specialist at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Oct 24 2018

What is most valuable?

I will say that, okay, we are coming from a long history as an IT company, and we have almost done queuing systems with other solutions. Moving from that implementation to something that is out-of-the-box, and the rave reviews, it was a great asset already. We didn’t have to worry about all the… more»

How has it helped my organization?

The on-premise installation is very valuable to us, since we are working with a lot of companies which have a very high degree of compliance.

What needs improvement?

I believe there is too much code to be done in order to handle the elements that you develop. We choose a new feature, we would choose something that is a little more … even more out-of-the-box, and gives me the possibility to configure directly where the messages should go, instead. Also, the IBM… more»

What other advice do I have?

We also considered Apache Kafka as a solution. The main difference is that Kafka is an open-source platform.
Find out what your peers are saying about IBM MQ vs. RabbitMQ and other solutions. Updated: November 2019.
383,444 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Pavel Shcherbukha
Team Leader of the Development Team at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Jul 12 2018

What do you think of IBM MQ?

What is our primary use case?

We use IBM MQ as a reliable way of integrating different applications. Our transaction service operates using IBM MQ for organizing the asynchronous interaction between different applications and the core banking system. It is easy to organize parallel reading and writing, and you can easily link two IBM MQ servers using the remote queue feature. We also use IBM MQ in web services which are developed using IBM Integration Bus. MQ helps us scale web services and organize parallel execution.

How has it helped my organization?

IBM MQ helps us scale our applications and balance our applications' performance. MQ is quite reliable. In some cases, our application became simpler and more reliable simultaneously.

What is most valuable?

Reliable integration…
Soumya Thomas
VP - Accelya Kale Solutions Ltd with 1,001-5,000 employees
Jul 11 2018

What do you think of IBM MQ?

What is our primary use case?

We use IBM MQ for message transmission between our customers, and their agents or global message service providers, such as SITA or ARINC, for tier one critical applications.

How has it helped my organization?

Applications are time critical, and IBM MQ has played a significant role in ensuring fast, reliable message transmissions. With IBM MQ in place, fear of messages getting lost in the case of an unplanned failure is almost none.

What is most valuable?

Data integrity, reliability and security are very important to our business. No messages are lost, and recovery is good in case of any serious failures. No dependency on the end party service's run status.

How is customer service and

Alexander Fildish
Consulting BPM Architect with 10,001+ employees
Jun 13 2018

What is most valuable?

It runs everywhere, from the mainframe in the US to the PCs in the Gobi desert attached to an analog modem.

How has it helped my organization?

It is the most reliable product that we have ever used.

What needs improvement?

There is not much room for improvement, except it could get a face lift with a modern marketing campaign.

99.999 percent availability for less than a penny per message over the past 25 years. IBM MQ is the cheapest software in the IBM software portfolio, and it is one of the best.

What other advice do I have?

IBM MQ is one of the oldest, most underrated products in history.
Ruud Van Zundert
MQ Engineer DevOp with 10,001+ employees
Nov 21 2018

What do you think of IBM MQ?

What is our primary use case?

IBM MQ is used heavily in all of the companies I have worked for, mostly in the financial industry. It is easy to set up and has good instrumentation.

How has it helped my organization?

The product was already installed which is not surprising as it was first published around 1993.

What is most valuable?

To be able to programmatically send information stored in 'messages' and send them securely, as well as the ability to check their contents and statistics when things go wrong.

What needs improvement?

Better testing by the supplier is needed Ability to send to a group of queues without the need to use pubsub and without the need to write one's own programmes.

Balanna N
Architect at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Jun 14 2018

What do you think of IBM MQ?

What is our primary use case?

We use queue managers/concentrators for message flow going upstream and downstream on applications with enterprise licenses.

How has it helped my organization?

Adding concentrators was great improvement, but it lacks the SonicMQ CAA (continuous availability architecture).

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are queue managers and CCDT, which is the common purpose of most client applications.

What needs improvement?

SonicMQ CAA (continuous availability architecture) functionality on auto failover and data persistence should be made available without a shared drive, as it exists in multi-instance queue managers.

More than five years.

What's my experience with pricing, setup cost, and

Aug 12 2018

What do you think of IBM MQ?

What is our primary use case?

I have installed a cluster MQ in a bank using HACMP for the failover solution on AIX. I have also configured the product accordingly.

How has it helped my organization?

It improves reliability and guarantees that messages are not lost. This is a prerequisite for the online payment process.

What is most valuable?

Asynchronous messaging processing between the front-end and our legacy system using an enterprise service bus (ESB).

More than five years.

To implement such an IBM solution, a company has to pay a lot in term of licensing and consultancy.  A pricing model might be a better option.
See 1 More IBM MQ Reviews

Articles

User Assessments By Topic About IBM MQ

383,444 professionals have used our research since 2012.

IBM MQ Questions

What is IBM MQ?

IBM MQ provides the universal messaging backbone for service-oriented architecture (SOA) connectivity. It connects virtually any commercial IT system, whether on premise, in the cloud, or a mixture. For more than 20 years IBM has led the market in messaging middleware and more than 10,000 businesses across all geographies and industries rely on IBM MQ.

Visit for your trial here.

Also known as
WebSphere MQ
IBM MQ customers

Deutsche Bahn, Bon-Ton, WestJet, ARBURG, Northern Territory Government, Tata Steel Europe, Sharp Corporation

Read Archived Reviews