IBM MQ Review

Scalable and reliable but needs action log statistical information

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution as a messenger software, in order to send messages to various applications.

What needs improvement?

The main issue we are having with the solution is due to the connection dropouts which have been going on for a long time now. Sometimes randomly the connection gets disconnected and we try to send a message, we get a failure. We then need to manually take an action on the message, which is happening quite a lot in production. We have been working together with the MQ team trying to increase the connection and some channel upgrades. We are taking steps in the right direction but the issue is not completely fixed.

Additionally, there is not any statistical messaging information being captured. We are not able to pull up any reports to determine when a message was sent. For example, how many messages during the day or during five minutes.

I have been using the solution for 13 years.

The solution is very stable. We have not had issues, except for the connection dropouts which could be related to the machine we are using.

The solution is scalable. It is flexible because, for us, we used the solutions adapter to provide the connection parameters to send a message. This has been quite easy.

We have previously used and still do, Rabbit MQ, which is open-source. It is getting quite popular because it is also stable and it has a good UI. This UI allows us to check the messages with some statistical data.

This solution requires a license and we have purchased an enterprise license.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. However, there are some emerging competitors on the market that provide a competitive alternative.

I rate IBM MQ a seven out of ten.

More IBM MQ reviews from users
...who compared it with Apache Kafka
Learn what your peers think about IBM MQ. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
513,091 professionals have used our research since 2012.