IBM MQ Review

It's our messaging bus. We use it for events that are limited to various applications that we have.

What is most valuable?

For us, it's basically just our messaging bus. We pretty much use it just for events that are limited to various applications that we have in our company. That is pretty much the use case that we have with respect to the IBM MQ.

Also, the stability and reliability of the tool system is what makes it really easy to be able to work with.

How has it helped my organization?

Technically, it has made our lives a lot easier. Prior to having MQ, we were basically developing these custom in-house solutions, where we were running into a lot of issues. After bringing MQ on board, along with its integration and flexibility that it has provided us with, it has basically shortened the amount of work we had to do in order to get it set up and to get the communications happening in between.

What needs improvement?

Maybe it should have something with respect to being able to provide a graphical view of the data elements that we are processing. For example, how many messages are being processed by a certain queue or for how much time each message is staying in the queue, and so forth. If there's a way that IBM can provide this tool that can have this out-of-the-box dashboard feature, it would be helpful.

Right now, we are trying to build custom solutions so as to gather that information. We are using Dynatrace, which is one of our monitoring solutions. We try to use it to analyze how many messages this queue has processed today and then we are trying to calculate the data for how long did the message stay in the system before the application picked it up. If there is a tool that can actually provide an out-of-the-box solution of this kind, then it would be really efficient for us.

We have not experienced any stability issues. We have been running this for almost about five years now. I don't think, up to this day, we've had any server down issues primarily because of MQ, i.e., the product itself. It's very stable.

With respect to scalability, we're not such a big shop where we are continuously scaling up, but it's a pretty standard system for us. We did not really have to do a whole lot. It runs on very bare resources; it's pretty good.

We have had a few scenarios where we were trying to develop some custom security solutions that required MQ to be authenticated, when they are trying to push our consumer messages out. It was not really an issue but more of an enhancement that we were trying to do. That's when we tried to approach IBM and get their inputs on the best way to do this.

They certainly were very helpful. They provided us with the necessary guidance and showed us some technical documents that were available for our reference and basically, to get the project completed.

Actually, when I joined this company, they already had the solution.

What other advice do I have?

First, assess your requirement. Basically, understand what you want to do and that's where it all starts. Doing the right analysis, finding the right solution; that's where success and failure happens.