IBM MQ Review

The integration between applications is the most valuable feature. It is lightweight, so you only need to scale the hardware.

What is most valuable?

The integration between applications is the most valuable feature. We can use it with multiple applications.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides faster interaction between the applications. It makes it easier to integrate the applications.

What needs improvement?

So we're on MQ version 8, and I was at a recent event for MQ 9 and it looks like they've already added some of the features I was looking. For example, a better monitoring system, and a GUI to display messages, which I think they've already done.

MQ is very stable. It's a very simple application to set up, and once it is set you don't have to really configure or monitor it so much.

Since it is very lightweight, the only thing you have to really scale is hardware. So, migrating is very simple as well. It supports HA, so we have it set up with just an active/passive type set up. And we don't have to scale it as much. So far, its been working out great.

We haven't had to use support yet.

Our first time using a message queue system was MQ, so we went with the IBM MQ product.

Being with a state agency, we actually go through what's called a hub that has a relationship with IBM. We can't directly purchase from IBM, so we have to go send bids. But, since we have quite a few IBM applications, we always you know target IBM since we already have the support that we need and our relationship with our sales person is really great. So, we always choose IBM.

I was involved in the initial setup. It was fairly straightforward. Once you start creating the queue managers, there's some configuration involved, which our developers take care of. I just take care of the basic installation of the product, which is very simple.

I don't know the names of any alternative vendors.

What other advice do I have?

MQ is awesome.

More IBM MQ reviews from users