Ibm

IBM MQ Review
MQ is one of the integrations that we use for the z Systems to the open system connectivity.

Valuable Features

MQ is one of the key integrations that we use for the z Systems to the open system connectivity. It helps us to transform the systems from the legacy enrollment to the latest technologies, as well. I'm part of the legacy transformations team and it provides really easy migrations, when it comes to integration with MQ. Any other integrations are a little bit challenging for us.

Improvements to My Organization

As I mentioned elsewhere, it provides one of the most seamless integrations that we can do both from open systems to z Systems or vice versa. These are the major benefits that we see. Since we are major resellers for IBM products, we generally look for transformation from z Systems to open systems and this tool helps us in transforming those.

Room for Improvement

They need to provide more and more platform integrations because I'm not sure what are the latest upgrades, in terms of MQ as of today. The latest integrations are going to take place in different cloud environments. So, I am not quite sure as to how seamless it can be integrated with other environments and I need to check that. This is also part of my job exercise, that I need to do every time.

There were not many stability issues, for sure. MQ is predominately a stable product, right from the z System days. I started out my career with z Systems, so we used MQ with part of the integration and it really helped us.

A long time ago, and not in the recent past, we did experience some issues with the technical support.

Our company has its own IBM center of excellence, where we have all of the required expertise within our organization, predominantly for this product. In addition, we have partnership support that we are getting every time from IBM.

We haven't faced a situation where we needed to invest in a new solution, predominately since our clients already have MQ. We are just transforming, upgrading or optimizing those versions; we are only doing this type of work.

The setup is moderate; it's not that complex. Recently, we are working for one of the Microsoft technologies transformation, i.e., from the legacy Microsoft technologies to the latest Microsoft technologies and that integrates with some of the z Systems.They are using MQ as the integration layer and even there, it was a very seamless integration for us. It's not too complicated nor very simple either. It is at the moderate level, which for integration is anticipated.

Other Advice

There is quite a good amount of documentation that you can get either from the IBM Redbooks or from the IBM support websites. Also, if you are partners with our company, then you will get the required support.

Before installing, I would request you to do a quick analysis and go through the end-to-end process, as to what are your requirements and how to configure this product up-front, i.e., instead of directly installing it and then, trying to configure it on the fly.

In general, when selecting a vendor, we look for more and more support.