IBM Smart Analytics System Review

They deliver a canned, scalable solution, but I would like to see the TSA scripts available publicly.

What is most valuable?

With a solid DB2 foundation, it performs incredibly and I recently implemented the new BLU Acceleration, and was dumbfounded that hour-long queries took minutes, in the correct scenario, of course.

How has it helped my organization?

From a consultant point of view, I can step in and immediately know the system. I do not have to spend time understanding the architecture, but can focus on understanding the business issues.

What needs improvement?

The HA -  it's a good solution, but I feel IBM should provide the necessary scripts so you can destroy the TSA domain and rebuild it easily.

I implement and support ISAS and PDOA’s, including hybrid versions for multiple clients, and High Availability options via TSA.

Not really, apart from what I mentioned above. I would like to see the TSA scripts available publicly.

No issues encountered.

The whole BCU/ISAS/PDOA is geared for scalability, but keep in mind that you will want to move 50TB of data around to optimize query performance IBM addressed the situation with their “fast redistribute” technology.

I would say my customers like the ease of administration.

The setup is done by IBM Services. They deliver a canned, scalable solution and I have worked on a number of projects, creating hybrid ISAS/PDOA systems and even cloning production systems to be development environments.

Most customers go to IBM, or a business partner. My former teammates at IBM are veterans and I would encourage people to go with IBM Lab Services.

That’s why IBM has sales-people, but I’m an IT techie/architect but I will however state that DB2 comes with a 90-day trial license and please make sure to run db2licm and license it, properly. Doing this will avoid calling customer support and suffering an outage.

What other advice do I have?

Know your business, and know your requirements.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I work through Xtivia, a Premium IBM Business partner, and I worked 20 years out of the IBM Toronto Lab.