JBoss Review

Lightweight and reasonably-priced, but the support should be bundled with Red Hat support

What is our primary use case?

JBoss is a product that we implement for our clients. It is used as an application server and a web server.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the UI.

This is a lightweight server.

What needs improvement?

The support should be bundled with the Red Hat OS support because as it is now, these are two separate costs. Having the support combined with Red Hat support would be an improvement.

We have been using JBoss for a couple of years.

We have not had any problems with the stability.

This is a scalable product.

Our application support team will contact JBoss support if they have an issue, but so far they have not needed to. We have not seen any major or critical problems.

We also have Oracle WebLogic in the company and some of the developers prefer to use JBoss. Three or four of our applications use JBoss and the remaining ones, which is most of them, use WebLogic.

In terms of memory, it is better than Oracle WebLogic.

Our in-house team is responsible for deployment and maintenance. We have one person from the infrastructure team to help install and tune it. A second person performs day-to-day troubleshooting on it.

Once we deliver and deploy the server, there is another team to support the application.

This price of JBoss is cheaper than similar solutions like Oracle WebLogic. We pay for a maintenance license, but it is not expensive.

JBoss is what we settled on when we were searching for alternatives to WebLogic.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is that for anybody who is searching for a lightweight application or web server, JBoss is one of the options that I recommend. We plan to continue using it.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Private Cloud
**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Implementer
More JBoss reviews from users
...who compared it with Oracle WebLogic Server
Find out what your peers are saying about Red Hat, Oracle, IBM and others in Application Server. Updated: July 2021.
523,535 professionals have used our research since 2012.