Kentik Review

What is most valuable?

DDoS Alarming allows us to get a feel for the bandwidth of an attack and determine if mitigation is needed to prevent collateral damage. Secondly, the flow analysis lets us look at how traffic is transiting our network. This allows us to optimize metrics to reduce cost.

Kentik answers the flow question: what are my flows, where are they are going, and what can I do to better optimize my connectivity. Kentik also baselines flow behavior and can alert you when there are abnormal flows such as DDoS.

How has it helped my organization?

We now have real metrics on DDoS attack vectors and use the alerting dashboard to gather information used in CLI filters and eventually in RTBH.

What needs improvement?

Firstly, my Dashlane password manager attempts to fill in the dimensions field for me, so I just turn off my password manager when that occurs.

Secondly, sometimes its difficult to order the dimensions correctly when trying to make Sankey flow diagrams. It’d be nice if there was a knob somewhere in my users settings that allowed me to make the dimensions box a single column from top to bottom so I don’t have to spend extra time tying to drag a dimension into the correct column to get the order correctly.

I have used Kentik since April of 2016; usually four times a week.

We have not encountered any stability issues.

We have not encountered any scalability issues. Kentik allows us to set sampling of flows on a per device basis.

Technical support is proactive in letting us know when we accidentally stop sending them flows. Additionally, when asking for help in configuring BGP settings, they have expert level knowledge in CLI configuration of network devices.

We did trials on a few competitor solutions. They were too slow, too complex, and required lots of on-premises touches to fix their equipment. They crashed often and they had poor customer service.

Initial setup was relatively straightforward. We had to evaluate which method of flow export/ingestion to use, implement the samplicator instance and then send Kentik the flows. We also had to exchange some information for BGP and SNMP settings.

I’ve told others that they charge based on the amount of devices and provide a discount for education customers. In my role, I haven’t been exposed to the cost of the product.

We looked at Plixer Scrutinizer.

What other advice do I have?

If they haven’t already decided to use it, I typically log into my portal and show them it’s capabilities. Then, I let them know they can get a trial for their network. If they have already decided to use the product, then I tell them they are in capable hands, because the customer support knows networks and servers very well.

More Kentik reviews from users
Learn what your peers think about Kentik. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
513,594 professionals have used our research since 2012.