Meraki Dashboard Review

Helps us to easily update and manage multiple devices, and simplifies creating our VPN tunnel

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to create VPN tunnels between remote sites and our core.

How has it helped my organization?

It has made creating VPN tunnels between remote sites and our core a lot easier. To create a VPN we need to deal with multipoint VLANs that we have between our different sites. Using this solution has meant that we don't have to create a bunch of specific policies, such as firewall exceptions. Instead, we just have the Meraki Cloud profile set up properly.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the single pane of glass that gives you multisite visibility.

It has the ability to push a configuration to multiple devices, or you can use the single pane of glass to login to any one of them. It saves a lot of time if you have to make a change on the fly.

What needs improvement?

The one issue that we have had is that the VPN tunnel would go down unless you worked out with the ISP that you would be using a static IP address on the WAN interface. If you're allowed to just be dynamic then whenever the port and IP changes, it will break the VPN connection and it does not always come back up. Our ISP has the dynamic IP addresses change on a cycle, so this was a problem for us.

So far, stability seems good, aside from the collapsing VPN tunnel issue that we were having due to having a dynamic IP address.

We haven't scaled the product enough to give an accurate answer, but so far it has met our needs.

We have been in contact with technical support, but I have not dealt with them personally.

Previously, for the remote VPN, we were using Aruba. There is a certain amount of complexity, and we had issues in terms of scalability. The Meraki solution was easy to use and allowed us to separate the traffic. It had to be split between our general inter-LAN that includes internet access, and data that is prioritized because it is handling 911 traffic.

The installation was pretty straightforward. I obtained my Meraki certification in one day.

We worked directly with the Meraki team.

ROI is hard to gauge because we are a Not-for-Profit organization.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is implementing this solution is to attend the Meraki classes and obtain your CMNO certification. You have to be familiar with the dashboard, the visibility, and the different products that you will be working on.