Micro Focus Operations Manager Review

Scalable tool that integrates with different products. I want to see better event planning.

What is most valuable?

It's very scalable and it does seem capable of accepting the volume. You can just keep expanding it as your organization grows.

How has it helped my organization?

It integrates with a lot of other products. You can integrate it with ticketing systems and all sorts of software. There are links to software that allows it to be monitored. It's a monitoring system, so it makes sure that everything is up and running. You can have dashboards and just make sure everything is up, working, and functioning correctly.

What needs improvement?

There is a new release which is much more GUI based. We haven't moved to the new product, which is OMi. So that probably does more of what I want, and has more to do with event management and is event based.

We're using Operations Manager (OM). I want to see better event planning. I would like event correlations. This is the thing I've always been interested in, but with the existing tool, it's been very, very difficult to do. I think this has been addressed in OMi, but I've yet to see that. When I really move to it, then I might increase my rating to closer to a nine. The event correlation is not there and it is a complex tool.

Even though it claims to do event correlation, in reality, you could just write a program from scratch to do this. That is fine, but it's not part of the product. For the new one, I believe it's supposed to do that. OMi is supposed to be much better for event correlation. So I'm looking forward to getting down to really using that.

This has been in our company for 20 years.

It's very stable. There are always some issues, but they tend to occur when changing the product. When it's up and running, it tends to stay that way. It's a very stable product and its origins are about 20 years old. It’s been around for a long time and it has a good basis.

It's capable of being expanded to extreme levels.

I use it. We've got dedicated technical support and that's very good. Because the product was not so well known year ago, it used to be a lot more difficult. We would get put through to people who didn't understand the problems at all and it took quite a long time before you could speak to somebody who did understand. Now we've got dedicated people and it's much easier. Everything happens really fast now.

I was not involved in the initial setup, but I've been involved in migration to a later product. The migration was very complex. It is a very complex product. It probably took me a year before I really felt I understood the product at all. It wasn't something that you can learn in two or three weeks.

It's just a vast complex product and it has also evolved. That's the downside of the product evolving, because there's lots of things that come from its origins and there are some things which have been added, and you can tell the difference. You can tell that it's not brand new because it keeps changing names. It used to be called OpenView and all those commands are OV this and OV that, so I it wasn't updated on that part of it.

Because they've been here for 20 years, it's very difficult to move away. At one time, I was trying to influence a change, but it proved to be impossible. Now that I've got more used to the Operations Manager, I'm happier with it. We'll see whether or not the next generation is really good, or as good as it says on the box.

What other advice do I have?

No one would actually use Operations Manager now, so go straight to OMi. I also recommend to study, study, and study to learn the product.