Micro Focus Operations Manager Review

Good custom dashboards and reports with an easy initial setup

What is our primary use case?

We primarily used it for monitoring. We used the desk portal that you have for IT support. We also installed the OBi and the BBD to do a lot of the analytics and to prevent difficulties within the BBD dashboard.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of the solution depends on a few factors. Sometimes if a user is working with, for example, Norton systems, and uses the consoles or monitoring desk ports, if they work with the system feed, they can present a performance report. It's very useful because users can do quite a bit of analytics just from that.

The core manager also allows for the creation of a custom dashboard, and users can use the cache from the dashboard which can include images. You can import the images to the custom dashboard and create basically whatever you want or need.

What needs improvement?

It depends on the contract a user holds with the company, but technical support could be improved. We work with a vendor of Micro Focus. If you need support for the OBi or BBD, you might be able to use R&D. If we need something we call R&D and get level one support.

The stability of the solution has become problematic and should be improved.

The pricing is a bit expensive for smaller companies.

If I recall we used the solution for an agency installation, or we used the site for monitoring agencies. For operations, if you have Micro Focus 2003 to 2008 you can do this.

The stability isn't so great. Stability was really good in the past, but now, even if you have software on the network the operating system is very problematic.

The solution is quite scalable. Even now, with the new system that they have. Recently, they changed the platform out to a licensed model and it's very easy to change the license if you need to grow. If you have an agent license you can apply it with the agent side license or with an APM induction license and scale up quite well.

On our client-side, we have a lot of users. We work with enterprise-level clients as well as smaller companies and have a lot of users on the system. This includes IT managers and operations center managers among others.

We've previously used a variety of other solutions.

We've worked with CA, Nagios Spectrum, Unicenter (which is the older version of Nagios), and Tivoli. Most customers have been on or are on Tivoli as well.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. It's not complex at all.

The solution is easy to install, which is wonderful.

The pricing may be a bit high for smaller customers. If a customer doesn't have more than 2,000 users, they might prefer to go with an open-source option, which won't cost much, if anything. Smaller companies can find a lot of other solutions besides Micro Focus, which is more suited for larger companies.

What other advice do I have?

We're partners with Micro Focus as well as Microsoft and BMC and we're based in Isreal.

We use the on-premises deployment model. We don't use the cloud deployment model. A lot of the systems are not on the cloud yet.

We also internally developed a system on the AppSwitch platform to help our clients gain more advantage. We have it monitoring all systems.

If the customer is an enterprise-level customer with more than 1,500 or 2,000 users, Micro Focus can help. Users can do a lot on the IP in terms of the monitoring systems and will find a lot of boot code.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

More Micro Focus Operations Manager reviews from users