Microsoft Azure SQL Data Warehouse Review

Good reporting and analytics, and can handle very large amounts of data

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and we provide different tools for our clients. Microsoft Azure SQL Data Warehouse is one of the solutions that we have implemented.

The use cases vary depending on the client. We have a couple of clients who are moving their data from on-premises to Azure databases, and they are using this solution primarily for reporting analytics. They also use visualization tools on top of the reporting.

What is most valuable?

The main advantage of using this solution is its ability to scale and handle very large amounts of data, in the petabyte range.

When we are not using this solution we can simply shut it down saving us costs, which is a nice advantage.

What needs improvement?

With respect to what needs to be improved, concurrent connectivity has some limitations.

We have been using Microsoft Azure SQL Data Warehouse for about one year.

This solution is stable.

We are satisfied with the scalability.

A lot of people use the analytics and I would estimate it to be between 50 and 100 users. Most of them are business users, although some are power users who built the system for them.

It is good technical support in general, we find. We were in contact with them when we were doing a migration from on-premises to the cloud, and it was very nice.

The initial setup is straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

This solution is being changed from day-to-day. Now it has become Synapse Analytics and a lot of things are being added to it. I'm curious to see how that turns out. They have a lot of new integrations and features, including predictive analysis and big data integration. They may have solved the issues with concurrent connectivity, so I'm curious to put my hands on it.

The product is being upgraded and updated to support a lot of analytic features, and it is a great tool to use.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Microsoft Azure