Microsoft Enterprise Mobility + Security Review

Excellent security and documentation with constant updating to protect from threats

What is our primary use case?

It's a solution that's basically helping administrators to manage the end-user environment. Whatever they're doing in the system, we make sure there's no data leakage happening, and we are fully protected, and always getting security patches.

What is most valuable?

The security is good. The ATP and Windows defender are excellent. They command the security like Defender, which is similar to a machine-based cloud protected environment. Basically, the solution ensures that computers are safe and secure. The productivity and security are excellent.

The solution is continuously evolving and updating to make sure it is always up-to-date on the latest threats.

The solution offers excellent documentation that is easily available online.

What needs improvement?

Technical support could be improved. Sometimes they use a third party that's not so knowledgeable in the product and that can slow down things a bit.

We've been using the solution for four years.

The solution is pretty stable. We haven't had issues with bugs or glitches.

We have about 2,000 to 3,000 users on the product currently. We use the solution on a daily basis.

The solution is easy to scale.

Support wise, I do notice they are selling the fast track program if you're using related versions of the solution. If you're signing an E5 licensing contract with them, they offer third-party support which, in some cases, has limited knowledge, and sometimes they struggle to get the right answer.

I've found that they're also providing their own premium support. Sometimes users have to spend some time when there are lots of incoming calls, but sooner or later you get the answer to what you are looking for, directly from Microsoft.

We didn't previously use a different solution.

The initial setup is always complex to implement, but they provide direct support through Microsoft, and Microsoft direct support is pretty good. Their documentation is one of the best tools that they have and it's all online. Referring to the documentation helps people solve any issues rather quickly.

Currently, we are automating the installations. We have 15,000 devices to manage, so we did a lot of customization in terms of installations. We are not doing manual installs anymore. So far, the automation process has been pretty stable. It still requires some professional engagements, but it's a lot less than if it was all done manually.

Maintenance is always necessary as you can't automate everything. You don't want systems to fail; you need to do the self-service when it comes to maintenance and investigations. How many people a company will need depends on the size of the enterprise. In my company, there are 15,000 devices, with a team of 20 people assigned to maintenance.

I don't directly deal with licensing and costs. I understand that Microsoft does allow for the buying of licenses in bulk and that they have to give companies additional support on the products.

What other advice do I have?

It's actually just not one product, it's a combination of products. For example, there is Windows inside it. It's got editions of CCM, Office, etc. All are deployed with them. There's also no one particular version here. They are always evolving and updating.

The deployment we have is a hybrid kind of contract. However, we are mainly using on-premise deployment. We are currently trying out the could and we are still taking time to explore it. We're asking ourselves: what is the benefit we are going to get?

I would recommend other organizations go for E5 licenses rather than relying on E3 if they want better support services from Microsoft.

Overall, I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.