Microsoft .NET Framework Review

It simplified operations dealing with the allocation and deallocation of memory spaces

What is our primary use case?

The .NET Framework is the foundation for software design and development. This is the context that I use it in, and the perspective that I view the discussion about it.

How has it helped my organization?

Coming out of C++, the .NET Framework simplified operations dealing with the allocation and deallocation of memory spaces and the additional processing resources. Adding this feature to the .NET Framework has freed countless hours of leak management.

What is most valuable?

The addition of generics to handle common functionality across types, and the more recent upgrade of the dataset to the Entity Framework, has cut development time drastically, while increasing quality and confidence between builds. Finally, the test framework allows for increased velocity.

Most recently, the updates tot he Entity Framework, and the addition of the ability to work with mobile applications have also been huge additions

What needs improvement?

• Stronger security with respect to cloud issues
  • Greater flexibility with data connections
  • Better control
  • Extensibility of the framework as a whole

More than five years.

Changes in technology generally happen faster than any single entity can keep up with. But the side-by-side Runyon capability handles most stability issues behind the scenes.

Only the ones that were fixed.

I have not had to use the support.

It is straightforward. All the components are readily available.

Started as part of a school program.

I can't measure ROI, because I've never used a different technology stack.  Switching from one to another has not been an issue.

Do your homework. Consider the partnership program.

What other advice do I have?

With the advent of IoT, combined with cross-platform development, the .Net framework becomes much more versatile. We should begin to see apps scaling down in size, but also (literally) covering more ground.