Microsoft .NET Framework Review

Supports our development of multiple in-house applications and systems

What is our primary use case?

We have multiple in-house leasing and financing products (Contract Management System, Point of Sale, Credit Acceptance Management, Field Force Agent, Document Tracking) developed on .NET framework 4.5.2 with WPF, Silverlight, WCF and WWF technologies. We use smart client applications for client-side and Business Process Manager (i.e. based on WWF) for orchestration of business processes. We also have proprietary Task Assignment Workflow which is highly configurable based on business rules. Our clients can create custom business rules with the help of the data dictionary shared with them.

How has it helped my organization?

The product is evolving, based on the day-to-day needs of our customers and we are making sure to include maximum functionality to support their businesses. The main focus is on "more configuration and less coding," by using industry standard tools.

What is most valuable?

• Business Process Manager (BPM)
  • Business Rules Engine (BRM)
  • Document Management System (DMS)
  • Automatic Release Deployment via PowerShell and Octopus
  • Integration Hub serving as Enterprise Service Bus
  • Metadata (i.e. compose database tables/columns, XML nodes; file data into placeholders so they can be placed in BPM, BRM, DMS)

What needs improvement?

I think we need improvement in our BPM module so that can become more user-friendly for our customers. There is plenty of room in WWF for improvement to make the UI/UX better for the end user, so they are comfortable with the orchestration.

More than five years.

We have issues with websites that are based on Angular, but the rest of the applications or websites are stable so far.

The only issue I have encountered is based on Queue Management. Regardless of whether it is Microsoft or IBM Message Queue, I have had issues while scaling them. The only option I have found is the introduction of multi-threading, but threads consume more processing power.

We were previously using PowerBuilder and then switched because of industry demands for transformation into new technology.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it at eight out of 10, as we can perform plenty of improvements in all our current products and can improve the UI/UX to meet the needs of the client.