Microsoft .NET Framework Review

Has improved our efficiency in the time it takes to program a solution

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use is to be able to build solutions more quickly and easily that has good flexibility. When you want to build a product, you have to have faith in the nature of its functionality and know you can write your code to run on their core. Another solution is to write software code to run on top of the framework.

Microsoft .NET Framework is a very good infrastructure and we program over that. It handles many tasks for us and it helps us to write our programs very fast and very efficiently. Although it is like a virtual machine, it is still fast — or faster — and it is efficient. Compared to Java Virtual Machine (JVM), I prefer to use the Microsoft .NET Framework because it is built specifically to work with Microsoft Windows. I have grown to trust Microsoft over a long time and we can easily write programs in familiar languages to work with Windows over the Microsoft .NET Framework.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved our efficiency in the time it takes to program a solution.

What is most valuable?

For us, direct integration with Microsoft Windows is probably the most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

One thing that could improve Microsoft .NET Framework is to give it more flexibility. It is designed to work just on Windows. If it could run over Linux, over MAC, over mobile phone, etcetera, it would be a very good improvement. If it were the case, I would be able to write a program and I could be sure that my program would run on all those platforms and over other operating systems.

I know that Microsoft is currently working on solutions for this and the company makes .NET Core now. The .NET Core they propose is a framework like .NET Framework that will allow implementing programs across other operating systems like Linux. It is introduced in idea, but it has a lot of room for improvement.

If I were able to install Microsoft .NET Core over other operating systems, such as Linux, Unix, or mobile and it works as well as .NET Framework, then it solves other problems for me.

I'm using Microsoft .NET framework over different versions from 2003 up to now. A total of about 16 years.

The stability of the current version of the product is very good. In the lower versions of the framework, sometimes I saw a crash but after version 4, I haven't seen any crashes. It is really, really stable and I like it. I wrote some services that have run for about a year without any crash at all. All issues with stability seem to be fixed.

Microsoft .NET Framework is a solution, where the scalability is dependent on the programmer. The programmer could write a very large scale project — a large scale enterprise solution — using .NET Framework. They can also work on much smaller projects. It is just a tool to use.

All of our company members and all of our customers currently use the .NET Framework. The programmers write based on that .NET Framework. We define the scope of our work based on the project. Some projects need four to five programmers, but on some projects need ten to twenty staff. It depends what has to be done.

We can scale at any time except with some limitations on operating systems. By making our applications based on .NET Framework, our applications run already on the .NET Framework for our clients. When we do the development for our programs based on .NET Framework, our customers who want to use this solution also have to use .NET Framework. This is why it is a little limiting.

The technical support is really, really good. Every time that I ask a question on the Microsoft Network, someone answers me and I never have felt ignored when I need some type of support. I am very satisfied with their work in supporting the .NET Framework.

Previously, I used C++ for my development and it wasn't over any framework. It was the mentality at the time. When I saw the benefit of using a framework like .NET, I saw the simplicity of working over frameworks and the development advantages. That is when I decided to switch over to .NET Framework.

Installation is very straightforward for the Microsoft .NET Framework. I never heard any complaints from any of my customers. Even those customers who still use a lower version of Windows like Windows XP or Windows 7 don't have problems. Because .NET Framework is not pre-installed on Windows 7 or on Windows XP or 7, the customers need to install it themselves. But on Windows 8 and 10, Microsoft .NET Framework is pre-installed.

I never heard any complaints from my customers who couldn't install the .NET Framework, and none have said they had difficulty with .NET Framework. They all have said they could install it very easily and get running with it without a problem.

How long will it take to make it do what you want depends on the things you want to accomplish. Some products take more or less time to deploy and some solutions take more to build. But the .NET Framework is very fast, not hard to learn, and even amateurs don't have a hard time with deployment and getting started.

We deploy this solution by ourselves. We never have had to reach out for help from vendors or other consultancies for the product itself. The programming is a different thing and is not the fault of the product.

One advantage to Microsoft .NET Framework is that it is a free product and everyone can use it. It is a very good point about that product because it makes it friendly and easy to adopt over many users. The solutions and use of technical support are free as well.

We did evaluate at least one other option before choosing Microsoft's .NET Framework. It was JAVA Bridge, but I prefer to use Microsoft .NET Framework because I only wanted to develop for Microsoft products and Microsoft Windows. The .NET Framework is, I think, more compatible with Windows than JAVA Bridge Virtual Machine.

What other advice do I have?

One piece of advice that I would give to people considering the use of this product is to use it because of several things: it is free of charge, it is fast, it is compatible with Microsoft Windows, and whenever a new version comes out, it supports the older version. These are all very good points. The development of the framework is really good and was approached intelligently.

If considering other options, when you want to use a framework, you have to look at its ability to work with different types of other products. With the.NET Framework, you are able to work with different environments like Microsoft SQL Server 7, MySQL, Oracle — any kind of database. You have to also know its limitations. It is my opinion that when you want to use the .NET Framework, it is a very good solution and you can have confidence in the functionality. The stability of the framework you choose is very important.

On a scale of one to ten with one being the worst and ten being the best, I would rate this product as a ten because my standard is Microsoft products.