Microsoft .NET Framework Review

Good support for frameworks to create services, increases productivity

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is business applications.

How has it helped my organization?

Using this framework has enabled us to create services out of things things that we used to do manually. Not only has it made our lives easier, but it has increased productivity as well.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features for us are web frameworks like MVC, Web API, and WCS.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more pre-built features in the MVC framework because as it is now, it's very open and you have to develop your own controls in order to use it. It would be much easier for us if there were more pre-built controls.

There should be more security features included.

The performance should be improved.

The technical support is in need of improvement to make solving issues more efficient.

I have been using the Microsoft .NET Framework for more than twelve years.

This is a very stable solution and we haven't had any issues.

This is a scalable framework but it depends on how you deploy the solution. Because it is a framework and not a product, it will give you options on how to develop your solution. If you develop it in a way that is scalable, then it will be scalable. But if you don't develop it properly then it will not be scalable.

In my previous company, we had approximately ten thousand users.

In my current company, we only use this solution internally. We have fewer than ten people, and they are business users. We do not currently have plans to increase usage but it may happen in the future.

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate Microsoft technical support a seven.

Whenever we are trying to solve issues by dealing with Microsoft, they ask so many irrelevant questions that it delays things.

We are also using WebLogic Suite with SharePoint on the server-side.

The initial setup was straightforward and the deployment took not more than two to three days.

We implemented this solution using our in-house team.

The Microsoft .NET Framework is free of charge, without licensing cost. The only cost is purchasing the hardware that it runs on.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who wants to use the Microsoft .NET Framework is to have the proper foundation before implementing the solution. This means that they should lay the architecture first, properly, and then develop the solution based on the architecture. Without this, the solution will not be scalable and will suffer from problems in the long run.

This is a good solution but there is always room for improvement.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.