NetApp SnapMirror Review

A good solution with an easy setup, but needs to improve bandwidth efficiency for baseline replication

What is our primary use case?

NAS Filer with quick recovery features within same site or across DR site. Being a unified storage, it is used as a Block (SAN) storage as well with pretty decent performance.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the snap shot.

What needs improvement?

It is not as efficient as it needs to be. It doesn't compress the data really well when it is forwarded to a secondary site. The download performance could be better.

Our company is Oman, and there is a ticketing problem here. If there are issues, we have to go to the partner who did the implementation. We need to contact the partner, then the partner has to get the log, and then they will raise the ticket on our behalf. After that, the tech support team contacts the partner and then it gets to us. We would like to get support ourselves or the ability to directly log the ticket or even call without having to go through the partner. We want to report the problem to tech support directly and then take it from there.

In terms of improvements for the solution, I think they already have a different product, AFF, where you can get much better performance and more combination as well as data security and data savings, if they have a different protocol already, which they are lacking now.

I've been using the solution for one year.

We didn't have any problems with stability during the installation.

The solution is scalable. The upgrade is really smooth. It doesn't require any content. Once it's done, it's ready to go. We can scale out as little as we want. We have five servers right now and 900 users.

With technical support, there are multiple levels. We are not very happy with Level One and Two support from our region. When it comes to escalation support, when there is a huge problem, it goes through the US or Canada. Those support techs are really good.

We did not previously use a different solution. It was entirely a different use case. Previously, we were using a Windows-based file server. We didn't have the high availability and replication to secondary site, also snap shot's capability, which is what we were looking for.

The initial setup was straightforward. It was pretty easy. Most of the items were available from the GUI end.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the private cloud deployment model.

I would say that if people are using this product they should make use of the snap shortcut. It would be very useful to them. If they can afford it, they should get the second box to put at a different site and replicate it for maximum protection of their data.

I would rate the solution seven out of ten.