Oracle Application Express (APEX) Review

Works like a rapid application development concept so it's a big time saver for clients

What is our primary use case?

Our company developed several health care portals where patients can go and find doctors and things like that. We are now testing whether we can shift a few things from the previous alignment tool which is managed by our data service team. We work on small projects and have around 50 users. We're customers of Oracle and I'm an EHR implementation specialist.

What is most valuable?

This solution is like a rapid application development concept. Given that it's all about time and everything happens within a much shorter time span, it makes for efficient software delivery and a good product. If the client is happy, I'm happy.

What needs improvement?

I think Apex is like many similar tools that are currently available. If you want specific reports, you have to implement third party tools. It would make a big difference if the reporting was included in the product so that we wouldn't need to get it from third parties.

I've been using this solution for 18 months.

The solution is very stable.

Apex is still evolving and we initially had scalability issues. You can't make large applications with the limitations we had, but you can make small apps really fast, if you have the extra backup.

We haven't had to use technical support, we track our own flow.

The initial setup was a little complex. You have to run some steps on it. That said, deployment took maybe an hour or two. We have minimal maintenance requirements. If there's an issue you just look back at the cache but most of the time it's okay.

What other advice do I have?

Apex is a great tool, you can use it for your regular business affairs and it's a very productive solution with great features. I really appreciate the people who created it.

More Oracle Application Express (APEX) reviews from users
...who work at a Aerospace/Defense Firm
...who compared it with Microsoft PowerApps
Learn what your peers think about Oracle Application Express (APEX). Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
457,209 professionals have used our research since 2012.