Oracle Application Express (APEX) OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Oracle Application Express (APEX) is #1 ranked solution in top Development Platforms, #5 ranked solution in top Low-Code Development Platforms, and #7 ranked solution in top Rapid Application Development Software. IT Central Station users give Oracle Application Express (APEX) an average rating of 8 out of 10. Oracle Application Express (APEX) is most commonly compared to Microsoft PowerApps:Oracle Application Express (APEX) vs Microsoft PowerApps. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 32% of all views.
What is Oracle Application Express (APEX)?

Application Express enables users to design, develop and deploy beautiful, responsive, database-driven applications using only web browser. The Oracle Application Express engine runs directly in the Oracle Database and exploits the database's extraordinarily scalable and efficient architecture. Its framework provides numerous security features out-of-the-box and helps authenticate users using LDAP, Oracle Single-signon, Oracle Database credentials, or HTTP Header variable.

Oracle Application Express (APEX) was previously known as Oracle APEX.

Oracle Application Express (APEX) Buyer's Guide

Download the Oracle Application Express (APEX) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

Oracle Application Express (APEX) Customers

Hepart AG, pharmasol, SATLOG, Collège Bois-de-Boulogne

Oracle Application Express (APEX) Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Oracle Application Express (APEX) pricing:
  • "When buying the data license, APEX is included."
  • "It's a free solution with no additional costs."
  • "Pricing is expensive, overall on an enterprise system but we consider that it gives corresponding value in the product."
  • "We have a full Oracle E-Business Suite license, and we use that license to develop applications. There's no license required for developing Oracle applications."

Oracle Application Express (APEX) Reviews

AG
Senior Database Developer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Rapidly develop public-access applications that stay stable under load

• "This is a good application for quickly creating public applications."
  • "There is a problem with security because the applications store passwords in the configuration files."
  • "Connections to the application pages are not handled well and at times more than one user can be accessing an application with the same ID."
  • "Fixing bugs is difficult because of how the HTML code is generated. It is not always broadly compatible with browsers."

What is our primary use case?

The only feature which is useful is that it makes it easier to quickly create publicly accessible applications. We were using it to make these applications.

We used it in addition to Forms and Report Services because Forms and Report Services at that time were client-server applications. It used to be an addition to the Oracle development environment.

Right now I am working on two projects. One of them is using Oracle Forms and APEX.

What is most valuable?

The valuable feature is the basic use case: it makes the process of creating publicly accessible applications easier.

What needs improvement?

The first thing I can think of that needs to be improved with this product is that there is a problem with security. In all of the applications I saw, they stored the passwords in the configuration files. I think this is a big issue. The security module is supposed to be included in the APEX connection component, but people connect to the Oracle HTTP Server and the password goes to the HTTP server. It is using the HTTP server for the security part. We did some analysis and we figured out that we had to move to another product.

Because security is not satisfactory, we created our own connection mechanism in ORDS. It was a better way to keep the passwords encrypted and to make access to the APEX applications a little bit more secure. But the way APEX causes applications to store the security information is a big issue and a security vulnerability. ORDS is pretty straightforward and Oracle WebLogic Server is very flexible and a very nice feature.

Also, the Oracle application page is supposed to be able to cancel access to the application. From what we found, this is not done properly. The connection is hanging and sometimes different people who connect to the application use the same ID. This can seriously interfere with users who are already connected. These are both very bad security issues.

There is also a disadvantage in that it is pretty hard to fix bugs in APEX. It is very tricky. Basically, the Oracle objects generate the HTML code and cast it to the HTTP server. You have to be very careful with the HTTP Syntax for the sake of compatibility. Some browsers accept the code that gets generated and some browsers not. It is very hard to debug these coding issues.

We have been using Oracle Application Express (APEX) since 2015.

Applications are usually accessible by thousands of users at a time without stability issues.

You can use multiple servers and the scalability of APEX is really pretty good from an end-user standpoint.

I do not think there is really much of a limitation on how many people can use the generated applications. This is one thing it is good at.

I used to work with other Oracle products like Fusion Middleware, Forms, and Reports. Since 2016, I worked less with APEX because there are other solutions that I prefer. My experience with APEX is that it is a little limited right now. Because of that we actually moved most application development to ORDS (Oracle REST [Representational State Transfer] Data Services).

ORDS is more efficient and easier to use. APEX is compatible with ORDS as well. The problem with APEX is mostly that I do not like to use different vendors for HTTP server and Oracle WebLogic Server. ORDS is supposed to be more of a native, all-in-one solution. So we try to use ORDS for development projects because Oracle HTTP Server is not supported anymore by Oracle and this is a problem for APEX security. You have to use a Tomcat server or something else with APEX.

I worked with APEX to do the initial setup and I have never set up the environment fully on my own. It is complex enough that I do not think I would want to do it without their help.

What other advice do I have?

APEX is a pretty old application and a pretty old environment. Most people are usually trying to get rid of it rather than bringing it onboard. For anyone still considering it, I strongly suggest going to the cloud application because the general strategy of Oracle Corporation is to support applications on the cloud. There are multiple other solutions to consider from Oracle or other vendors as well.

On a scale of one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Oracle Application Express depending on the task. For some tasks, it is just perfect. You can say it would be an eight or nine-out-of-ten for quickly creating an application that does not need strong security. But for some tasks, like when you try enhancing an application, the score is pretty low. In that case, I would give the product a three or a four.

Omar Al-Qaysie
Senior Chief Engineer at ministry of electricity
We can develop everything locally with it but it doesn't talk with other databases

• "One of the most valuable features is that we can develop everything locally and deploy it for different kinds of operators in different locations, so we can do our job in one piece. The benefit of that is that others can use these applications. They connect to the internet to do these kinds of applications based on the permissions for those users."
  • "Connecting with Oracle and the relation with Oracle at the database as a procedure needs improvement."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for human resources. We use it as an application for human resources for the Ministry of Electricity. We also use it for the complaint management system, for collecting the complaints from customers about electricity, and tracking these kinds of requests.

What is most valuable?

Developing based on a web-based application with APEX or another language is more simple and costly.

What needs improvement?

The front-end development that's looking for HTML, Java, C++, etc also needs improvement. In order to get more out of APEX, there should be more training courses to help beginners start from A to Z. When I started with APEX, I focused on the first part, the relation between database procedure, and later I found I needed more learning courses for the HTML. There should be more training or books looking at the relationship between APEX and Oracle, not between APEX and HTML, CSL, or JavaScript. In order to go more and more with APEX, it needs to start with HTML, CSL, JavaScript, and web development.

The main drawback is that APEX doesn't talk with other databases. It would be great for the tool if you could combine it with different open-source databases.

I have been working with Oracle for around ten years.

It's stable but I experience instability with it when I shifted from version 3.2 to 4.2. There were some errors in the database. I couldn't understand why but after searching I found a solution. But it works now.

Stability has been for seven or eight years.

We have three to five developers using this solution.

I worked with Java and before Java, Visual Basic from Microsoft. The other person in the Ministry of Electricity is still using Access for Microsoft, Visual Basic, .NET or C#, SQL Server as the database, and PHP. Different people in my company work with different solutions.

The initial setup wasn't easy or complex, it was somewhere in the middle. We deployed it ourselves.

I purchased the database when we started the project with Oracle. I supported the analysis for one year, but after one year we couldn't pay more for the support. We haven't had an issue with maintenance.

APEX is an open-source platform. I'm busy with the application. It is easy to maintain the application in order to go further with more versions of APEX. It has a different kind of database. Data Point 2.1, is the version that I got from Oracle.

Oracle one of the most expensive databases in the world.

What other advice do I have?

In order to go with APEX, you need to know everything about Oracle as a database, starting from a secure fundamental as the beginning, PL/SQL, and administration of the database. You have to know about HTML5, JavaScript query, and jQuery.

I would rate APEX a seven out of ten. The drawback of APEX is the relation between APEX and Oracle, there is no relation between APEX and other databases. It's very good for learning APEX and it is stable.

Your company has to understand how to invest in it. It is a wonderful database. If it's Oracle, it is the best one in the world. So when we invest in people, invest in Oracle, we will get our results. Everything is available and everything can be developed with any applications.

Learn what your peers think about Oracle Application Express (APEX). Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
553,954 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senol YILMAZ
Founder at Avsa Danismanlik Ltd Sti
Easy and cost-effective to develop, install, and deploy

• "With only a browser, it is very easy to develop in a web environment."
  • "Visual Builder and APEX should meld in one product."

What is our primary use case?

With APEX, I developed a web portal for an insurance company. With this portal, every agency can look at its customer's personal data, their claims, policies, coverage, and collections.

I am using this solution and I am developing software for my customers.

How has it helped my organization?

For three years, we have done the same application with more than 10 people.

With APEX, we can reduce our costs by reducing the size of our teams.

Before APEX, we were using Oracle Forms. This required larger teams.

With small teams of four to six, with a maximum of 10 people, you can build every kind of product.

APEX will also benefit enterprise companies.

What is most valuable?

Developing in a web environment is very easy with just one browser. With a username and password, I can develop this product very easily. With this product, it is very easy to develop. Many sample applications have been created by Apex in the Applications Gallery.

You can built multilingual applications, each user can interact the application with their own depending localization parameter.

Apex supports Restful Service in JSON format. It is very easy to create a web service for Apex Environment.

It's suitable for team development.

What needs improvement?

It would be my dream to merge two products into one. Visual Builder and APEX should meld in one product.

Each has different strengths. Visual Builder is very strong in Java, and you can build HTML applications very easily with low code. APEX is very important to have a direct connection to the Oracle database.

If these two products would meld into one in the future, it would be very nice.

In the future of APEX, I would expect features more like Visual Builder. Also being able to use HTML codes directly. Visual Builder produces HTML codes and source codes.

APEX does not have source code, it runs from the database. We can export our objects, our source, and import them in different environments and different hardware, but it's not readable in HTML codes.

I have been using this solution for three years.

We are using the latest version and will be upgrading to 20.2

It's a stable solution.

Oracle Application Express (APEX) is a scalable product.

We have four users in our organization.

We don't need direct support from Oracle. We are using Oracle Websites.

It's very easy to install and easy to deploy.

The first time, I spend six weeks, but now it can be done in a few hours.

We need only one person to maintain this solution.

We completed the implementation of it ourselves.

This is a built-in license with data.

When buying the data license, APEX is included.

Currently, I am doing some research on Visual Builder. I saw a demo.

It's an application that is ready for the cloud. You cannot use it on-premises or on your local machine. It's just for the cloud.

They have very nice features.

You can easily build your applications at a very low cost, and it is very powerful with JavaScript.

What other advice do I have?

We are a consultancy firm for IT purposes, software. Especially, we are engaged in the insurance and banking finance sector.

We have a very large and deep knowledge of accounting software. Our team is very experienced, senior developers, and business analysts.

We are migrating our Oracle Forms to APEX. In the future, we will continue to use APEX.

I would highly recommend this product to others who are interested in using it.

Hybrid Cloud
MW
Consultant at a energy/utilities company with 51-200 employees
Develop applications quickly and easily, with excellent technical support

• "The most valuable features are security, stability, and ease of implementation."
  • "The collaboration and the workflow engine could use some improvement."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for developing applications to help with the daily work, customer support, and for production in small to medium-sized businesses.

How has it helped my organization?

It's a large organization producing energy. APEX is a platform that helps in the daily works of many parts of the organization. It is not producing any energy, although it is helping us to save energy that is is the result of friction between the different areas of the enterprise.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are security, stability, and ease of implementation.

You can concentrate on the solution. You don't have to worry about the environment, the security, the servers, or the access. It is all there automatically.

Communication and solutions are easier to use.

What needs improvement?

The collaboration and the workflow engine could use some improvement. If you have a larger team working with APEX, it is not that easy to synchronize the team. It is easier with a code-rich application because of the tools. It is not that easy in a low-code environment.

In the next release, I would like to see a better workflow tool.

I have been using this solution since 2005.

This solution is very stable. We have never experienced any issues.

This solution is scalable. We have not come anywhere near the maximum with our engines.

We have never experienced any performance issues or performance warnings in our company.

We have 3000 users in our company, but not all of them are using the same application at the same time.

We have many applications with many departments and it's used every day. They are using applications with APEX. They are not developing in APEX, but they are using APEX solutions to launch, for feedback, for security, and monitoring.

The technical support is excellent.

Previously, we did not use another solution. We used a different form of Oracle. There haven't been that many solutions available or programming platforms. APEX was the first local solution.

It was the only solution at the time.

The initial setup is quite straightforward and very easy.

With one person, it took half an hour to install and get running.

We have two people to maintain this solution.

This solution was implemented 15 years ago with the help of our team.

There are zero costs. It's a free solution with no additional costs.

We are using a point system, but it's only being used with a few applications at the moment.

What other advice do I have?

Once you start to develop with APEX, you will be hated by programmers and coders. They will want to show you that they can do the same as you can do.

My advice would be to just use this solution.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

HN
CTO at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Easy initial setup and scalable but lacks process management

• "The solution's most valuable aspect is its Graphics Form Design."
  • "The solution has some stability problems that need to be resolved."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily want to use the solution for rapid development.

What is most valuable?

The solution's most valuable aspect is its Graphics Form Design.

The initial setup is quite simple. I was able to handle it myself.

The product can scale if you need it to.

What needs improvement?

The solution does not offer everything under one umbrella solution.

In terms of the VPNs and process management, Oracle can make it better. It's an area that definitely could be improved upon. They really don't have anything going on there.

The solution has some stability problems that need to be resolved.

The product should add a separate site with a development language supporting Java, or other languages such as this.

I've been using the solution for about three months or so. It's quite a new solution for us. We're still in the testing phase.

The software seems to have stability issues. It can crash or the software can shut down and sometimes it doesn't return. I'm not sure what causes these issues.

The product has inside solutions for scalability. You can expand using a talented application server. We tend to have loads of balance there and we find it to be scalable.

We're currently in evaluation mode, and therefore have a limited amount of users on the solution currently. It's not fully rolled out.

We haven't been in touch with technical support per se. We have referenced documentation and other materials to assist us. I can't speak to the effectiveness or knowledgeability of their services.

We didn't use any previous solution.

The initial setup was not complex at all. It was very easy and quite straightforward. A company shouldn't have trouble with the implementation.

I handled the initial setup myself. I did not need the assistance of a consultant or integrator.

We also looked at other options. We thought about doing a combination of two solutions due to the fact that the process management was very weak.

What other advice do I have?

We are just customers and end-users of the product.

We are still running a test, or a POC, to see if we like how the system operates for our organization.

I would rate the solution at a six out of ten. If it had VPN process management, I would likely rate it higher.

While I would recommend the solution, it would depend on an organization's requirements.

IA
Freelancer with 1-10 employees
It has a well-designed architecture and is a simple 3rd party application

• "It has a well-designed architecture and is a simple 3rd party application."
  • "It has been reported that the technology is very hard to learn, and the service is expensive."

What is our primary use case?

The APEX database is based on a SaaS service. We use a distributor based in Malaysia for that. We integrate this with other Oracle technologies. To use Oracle Apex, you require a licence. We rely on our distributors for the service, and then we advise our end users and support them. Our clients invest in Oracle technology for their application platform. Still, the devil is in the detail with the contract, explaining how the new technology enhances their solution.

How has it helped my organization?

It is risky to move to a new staging instance or new solution, which may cause an issue. In Malaysia, we don't need to take any risks. It is a mostly new architecture. Our clients are mainly in government.

What is most valuable?

Our clients use this solution continuously. It has a well-designed architecture and is a simple 3rd party application. Our clients really like the new version. It does not need to be maintained very often.

What needs improvement?

It has been reported that the technology is tough to learn, and the service is expensive. The online supporting documentation could be better and offered in other languages, as Malaysian does not seem to be covered. Oracle could improve server and data migration from the cloud. This is achieved easier via a hybrid version. Sometimes we perform migrations and have to roll them back, as there are unforeseen issues.

We have been using APEX since 2020. It's a cloud service, with a cloud structure.

Oracle is stable, as it is a data container, and it includes advanced framework development.

We have considered Azure Cloud, Oracle Cloud, Google GCP and Microsoft Azure. Oracle has value in that they have related products. We have been looking at products to standardise, and hence is why we chose Oracle as a uniform solution.

The implementation for clients is the responsibility of the distributor or reseller. The consultants must go directly to the users to understand their requirements. Implementation is usually carried out on-premise.

Pricing is expensive overall on an enterprise system, but we consider that it gives corresponding value to the product. It becomes more expensive when more products are added to the main product. The Apex element itself is free to use, so it's useful for learning individually.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Apex 10 out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud

Other
Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Integrator (solution provider)
Vincent Cheng
Sr. Director at LogiCorner Info Tech.
Shortens the development cycle, enabling faster delivery to the customer

• "Oracle APEX improved our organization by making it possible for us to implement agile project development."
  • "Currently, APEX doesn't have a building workflow engine. I think that's the most important improvement that could be made at this point."

What is our primary use case?

Right now, we have two primary use cases for this solution. We are using Oracle APEX to build full-customized ERP systems for big companies and also for small and medium-sized enterprises.

How has it helped my organization?

Oracle APEX improved our organization by making it possible for us to implement agile project development. A key agile feature is shortening the development cycle, enabling faster delivery to the customer. It enables us to deliver a complete system to the customer more quickly. The customer can use a system and provide us with feedback. We then implement changes and enhance the system as part of second development cycle.

If we were using a different tool, it would take us maybe three months to deliver a development cycle. With APEX, we're able to deliver in less than a month.

What is most valuable?

What I find the most valuable about Oracle APEX is that it is very fast.

Prior to Oracle APEX, we were using Oracle Developer/2000, or D2K for short. It's another RAD. RAD refers to rapid application development tool. These two tools are quite similar. So, they are very easy for us to migrate.

That's why we choose Oracle APEX. It is a very powerful tool. It has a lot of function and a lot of features that were not available in D2K. D2K is not available on mobile, for example. Oracle APEX is very convenient.

What needs improvement?

1. Need more backup options, such as more than 25 backups, option for choosing what conditions to trigger the backup action, etc.

2. If APEX could add the workflow engine feature, that will be awesome.

3. If there could be a kind of chart to make the link graphics between the parent nodes and the child nodes, (currently there is a Tree feature), but sometimes the hierarchy is not only one-to-many, could be many-to-one, or many-to-many.

4. More mobile-friendly UI features will make APEX more powerful and engaging.

I have been using this solution since 2015.

We do not use Oracle paid support. We use community support.

The Oracle Community is not paid support but it is very powerful. It's a great community, made up of very intelligent and enthusiastic people.

I consider the initial setup simple compared to other technology.

What other advice do I have?

Oracle APEX significantly reduces the effort that needs to be put into development, allowing us to focus more on system analysis.

Bulent BASIM
Managing Partner & Oracle ERP Technical Consultant at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
A customizable web-based software development solution

• "I like how we can actively develop and customize APEX because it's on the same database."
  • "I don't like the URL syntax."

What is our primary use case?

We use Oracle Application Express (APEX) to integrate solutions with E-Business Suites.

What is most valuable?

I like how we can actively develop and customize APEX because it's on the same database. We use all the E-Business Suite custom environment features in APEX. We use it because developers can fully leverage it. For example, in Oracle Application Framework, you have a download time of about half an hour before deployment. But there's no deployment time in APEX. You can see it after refreshing the page.

What needs improvement?

I don't like the URL syntax—for example, the parameters in the URL for the pages. If there are any parameters, all the users see all the parameter names. This may require some caching. The UI could be improved as well. Sometimes, based on the customization, load balancing isn't running behind the F5.

We've been using Oracle applications for about three years.

APEX is a stable product.

APEX is scalable. We have two deployments, two of them behind a local APEX and another in Turkey. The installation is on the local area network. We got three servers that run on the APEX and an APEX installation on a single database in a lab.

There's a technical team, but I install APEX by myself.

We have a full Oracle E-Business Suite license, and we use that license to develop applications. There's no license required for developing Oracle applications. It's just for the Oracle development tools we use until the final product is ready.

What other advice do I have?

The forums are quick, and I follow those to lookup features, and I just recall it. I follow all the online seminars and that was enough for me.

There are some restrictions when using this product, but it can be valuable for developing and integrated with E-Business Suite. Because in some instances, some tools aren't available in the E-Business Suite environment.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Oracle Application Express (APEX) an eight.

Download our free Oracle Application Express (APEX) Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.