Oracle Application Express (APEX) Review

A customizable web-based software development solution

What is our primary use case?

We use Oracle Application Express (APEX) to integrate solutions with E-Business Suites.

What is most valuable?

I like how we can actively develop and customize APEX because it's on the same database. We use all the E-Business Suite custom environment features in APEX. We use it because developers can fully leverage it. For example, in Oracle Application Framework, you have a download time of about half an hour before deployment. But there's no deployment time in APEX. You can see it after refreshing the page.

What needs improvement?

I don't like the URL syntax—for example, the parameters in the URL for the pages. If there are any parameters, all the users see all the parameter names. This may require some caching. The UI could be improved as well. Sometimes, based on the customization, load balancing isn't running behind the F5.

We've been using Oracle applications for about three years.

APEX is a stable product.

APEX is scalable. We have two deployments, two of them behind a local APEX and another in Turkey. The installation is on the local area network. We got three servers that run on the APEX and an APEX installation on a single database in a lab.

There's a technical team, but I install APEX by myself.

We have a full Oracle E-Business Suite license, and we use that license to develop applications. There's no license required for developing Oracle applications. It's just for the Oracle development tools we use until the final product is ready.

What other advice do I have?

The forums are quick, and I follow those to lookup features, and I just recall it. I follow all the online seminars and that was enough for me.

There are some restrictions when using this product, but it can be valuable for developing and integrated with E-Business Suite. Because in some instances, some tools aren't available in the E-Business Suite environment.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Oracle Application Express (APEX) an eight.

20.1
More Oracle Application Express (APEX) reviews from users
...who work at a Government
...who compared it with Microsoft PowerApps
Learn what your peers think about Oracle Application Express (APEX). Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,535 professionals have used our research since 2012.