Oracle Application Express (APEX) Review

It has a well-designed architecture and is a simple 3rd party application

What is our primary use case?

The APEX database is based on a SaaS service. We use a distributor based in Malaysia for that. We integrate this with other Oracle technologies. To use Oracle Apex, you require a licence. We rely on our distributors for the service, and then we advise our end users and support them. Our clients invest in Oracle technology for their application platform. Still, the devil is in the detail with the contract, explaining how the new technology enhances their solution.

How has it helped my organization?

It is risky to move to a new staging instance or new solution, which may cause an issue. In Malaysia, we don't need to take any risks. It is a mostly new architecture. Our clients are mainly in government.

What is most valuable?

Our clients use this solution continuously. It has a well-designed architecture and is a simple 3rd party application. Our clients really like the new version. It does not need to be maintained very often.

What needs improvement?

It has been reported that the technology is tough to learn, and the service is expensive. The online supporting documentation could be better and offered in other languages, as Malaysian does not seem to be covered. Oracle could improve server and data migration from the cloud. This is achieved easier via a hybrid version. Sometimes we perform migrations and have to roll them back, as there are unforeseen issues.

We have been using APEX since 2020. It's a cloud service, with a cloud structure.

Oracle is stable, as it is a data container, and it includes advanced framework development.

We have considered Azure Cloud, Oracle Cloud, Google GCP and Microsoft Azure. Oracle has value in that they have related products. We have been looking at products to standardise, and hence is why we chose Oracle as a uniform solution.

The implementation for clients is the responsibility of the distributor or reseller. The consultants must go directly to the users to understand their requirements. Implementation is usually carried out on-premise.

Pricing is expensive overall on an enterprise system, but we consider that it gives corresponding value to the product. It becomes more expensive when more products are added to the main product. The Apex element itself is free to use, so it's useful for learning individually.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Apex 10 out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud

Other
**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Integrator (solution provider)
More Oracle Application Express (APEX) reviews from users
...who work at a Government
...who compared it with Microsoft PowerApps
Learn what your peers think about Oracle Application Express (APEX). Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,535 professionals have used our research since 2012.