Oracle Application Testing Suite Review

​This product can facilitate the lowering of test execution times for operational people. Improvement in performance and stabilizing record/playback in the EBS forms option is needed.

What is most valuable?

OpenScript and several objects that can be used in scripting. Option to Iterate over scripts is good. It allows you to run the same script for different instances. The report that is generated is quite detailed and useful, only becomes too big (MB's) when running several scripts.

How has it helped my organization?

This product can facilitate the lowering of test execution times for operational people. In other words, the bulk of the (repeating) test steps can be taken away by automating the EBS regression set in OpenScript, every release. After the automated regression set has run, all standard EBS functionalities have been tested and Employees only have to validate custom pieces of the system, without having to prepare. This takes away a significant amount of man hours.

What needs improvement?

Improvement in performance and stabilizing record/playback in the EBS forms option.

I've used it for three years.

I'm not a developer, but I've heard from the technical people that there limitations programming wise, which brought some limitations.

There's no issues with the stability.

We're an organization with 3,000 employees, and active roll in testing for about 100.

I haven't needed to use technical support.

This product is one of the few products that can run with Oracle Forms (Java servlet applet), and a discount was giving for using this product in combination with licenses for the Oracle e-Business Suite.

I didn't do the install myself, but I've heard that the installation guide wasn't very clear, and some tial and error had to be done to get it working.

We did it in-house.

$80,000 profit after three years, and then $50.000 per year.

What other advice do I have?

Loads of possibilities. I use mostly use the WebForm and EBS forms options. WebForms works fine, but Scripting in the EBS forms option isn't very consistent and stable. During recording and playback errors occur. Elements of forms aren't recognized which makes scripting and playback a time consuming activity.

I advise you to use an isolated server with as much privileges/rights as possible, and limited access to the outside. Restrict connections to needed test environments only. Double the hardware that is stated on the specs for minimum hardware requirements. When scripting, try not to script all, but focus on the part where the expectation is that is will not/minimally change in the coming period. Also, when scripting, try to work in modular way and try to make them re-usable.