Oracle Data Guard Review

Adds an extra layer of a high-availability platform and minimizes the application outages

What is our primary use case?

The primary use of this solution is for the high availability. If the database or server crashes, the switches go over to the standby database becoming the primary database. We use Data Guard in order to have a high-availability solution and high-availability configuration in our data center.

How has it helped my organization?

Data Guard adds an extra layer of a high-availability platform. The database minimizes the outage of applications in case something goes wrong with the primary database, allowing us to resume activities, losing minimal time.

What is most valuable?

We chose this solution for the availability of the databases. Since we can't afford Oracle Grid, this is the best solution if you want something similar that's less expensive.

What needs improvement?

A disadvantage is that the available disk space must be doubled. This is because Data Guard is made of two databases, one primary and one as a standby running permanently. We must pay the Oracle license on the second server. For every standby server you have, you must pay a licensing fee, which is the main disadvantage.

I have been using Oracle Data Guard for the past ten years.

The stability is quite stable and it's reliable. From time to time I have had some issues, where I get an error message saying that both databases stopped synchronizing for a while. It doesn't mean that the problem comes from Data Guard. The problem could come from other areas like the network, a slow network for example.

I don't have an opinion about scalability. I have always followed the same kind of installation.

There is no specific Data Guard support in place. You either pay for the support or for an Enterprise edition giving you support for features that are included in this edition of Oracle. If you don't pay then you don't get support.

I am satisfied with the support.

Data Guard was already in place with this company.

As far as the installation, you should have an understanding of Data Guard. I am experienced with it and didn't require the script for the whole configuration and connection. If you don't have experience with Data Guard, then you must read the installation and configuration instructions.

I implemented this solution.

This is the best solution if you want something similar that's less expensive than Oracle Grid. We pay once per year.

We use a cluster for some customers instead of Data Guard, but it is a different concept. However, it is more or less the same.

What other advice do I have?

They could enhance their GUI or they should have a cloud control tool. They should have Data Guard tools in order to troubleshoot whenever there is a problem. There isn't anything in place for the configuration. Everything has to be done manually within the standard guide in Data Guard-related commands. Having a GUI with Data Guard is something that would be appreciated.