Oracle OBIEE Review

Great machine learning capabilities on the cloud with good security mechanisms for larger organizations

What is our primary use case?

We mainly used the solution for their warehouse. OBIEE is a complete package and it includes OLAP analytics as well as OLTP. We use both features of OBIEE.

What is most valuable?

Overall, it's a very good tool.

We have implemented the solution effectively in large organizations, like utility companies or banks. Their budgets are pretty high and they can pretty much afford the costs involved in the solution.

For their OLTP reports, like online transaction reports, we use BI Publisher, and for warehousing, we use OBIEE to populate the dashboards for the business. That's why it's so useful for us. Oracle gives us lots of features and visualizations. In the recent version of 12c, they had introduced many features in visualization as well as dashboards.

They introduced AI and forecasting in their latest versions and they are now working on the cloud. They are also giving the latest version of OBIEE with cloud, called Oracle Analytics Cloud enterprises.

They have a new security mechanism that is very strong.

They are introducing AI. There are good forecasting features and machine learning.

There's great forecasting features both for on-premise and cloud deployment models.

What needs improvement?

Thanks, Ms. Julia Frohwein for the review. I would like to explain the points which I had written in the first post.

The solution is too expensive for small firms.

The solution is too expensive for small firms due to their licensing cost. Not every company has the budget to purchase the solution.

I believe that the solution is beginning to integrate more security measures, however, more must be done.

The on-premises version does not have any AI or machine learning capabilities. They're saving those for cloud versions.

I've used the solution for five years or so. However, the last time I used it was in November of 2019.

We're actually currently using Microsoft Power BI as opposed to Oracle.

Power BI is a good tool for every business. Microsoft Power BI, as compared to OBIEE, is much cheaper than OBIEE. OBIEE, as a product, is pretty expensive for a lot of these small organizations or small companies. Microsoft Power BI is the most useful tool as compared to cost. It's cost-effective for every organization, from small to large.

I've noticed that Microsoft is adding more visualizations and comparing themselves to Oracle in order to position themselves as competitive. Of course, they also have items like machine learning, etc., that Oracle offers.

It's a pity that they are moving from on-premises in a lot of ways. There are two changes in the cloud site because they have introduced a few new steps to configure OBIEE in the cloud. There are pretty easy steps to configure OBIEE in the cloud. As a service-oriented company, we are only using their interface.

Every technology now has been shifted to Cloud. Every technology now has been introduced to the cloud instance. If you're talking about Microsoft, they have also introduced Azure cloud as well as Amazon and Oracle clouds. However, now they want to shift their Oracle technology to only cloud and in the future, we are seeing that most of the companies will shift their data to the cloud.

I was involved in the setup of both the cloud and on-premises versions of Oracle OBIEE.

The basic difference between on-premise and cloud is the fact that we as implementers are responsible for the entire picture. We have to build and install the server then handle the installation configuration and then move the data from the source application tool to the warehouse. That's only for on-premise whereby the whole responsibility is taken by us.

The cloud, the infrastructure service, means that the responsibility is taken by Oracle. The cloud handles the technical aspects for the most part. We are only using to the warehouse because the source application moves the target in-house. The on-premise solution has three basic processes: infrastructure, installation, and configuration and then we do the implementation. In the cloud, you mostly just have to implement it.

I can't recall the exact pricing. There are three different categories. The pricing is available online. If you go to their website they're quoted there and they charge per hour band per day as they have different offers for their customers. If you want to know about their pricing of the particular categories, on their website their prices will be available there.

Their prices have changed from the last year. Right now I don't have any sense of price. However, I was part of the implementation team, and I noticed their pricing is not much higher but it's moderate pricing.

There's a lot of competition right now between a few giants, including Microsoft, Oracle,  Amazon Web Services, and SAP as well as Tableau.

What other advice do I have?

We were using the latest version of the solution at this time.

I would suggest that any company considering the solution carefully consider their budget first. The licensing is comparable to Microsoft. You need to make sure you can afford the solution.

From my experience, OBIEE is the best solution. I have five-plus years of experience working with Oracle. If you are a giant firm, if you can afford this technology, so go for it. This is a good technology. They have various solutions for customers. They have financials. They have utilities as well. Oracle has a supply chain, they have a financials, they have HRMS modules, they had a procurement module, and they have a utility stack. They have more products than anyone else. That's why they have an edge on other solutions.

I've been on webinars during the pandemic and have noticed Oracle push towards AI and machine learning, specifically on the cloud. I've also been on webinars with AWS and Microsoft and they are chasing this technology as well. Still, Oracle right now has the edge.

I would rate OBIEE nine out of ten due to the fact that their various features and their product stack are very competitive. Their various product features definitely attract customers.

More Oracle OBIEE reviews from users
...who compared it with Microsoft BI
Learn what your peers think about Oracle OBIEE. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,975 professionals have used our research since 2012.