Oracle OBIEE Overview

Oracle OBIEE is the #5 ranked solution in our list of top Business Intelligence Tools. It is most often compared to Microsoft BI: Oracle OBIEE vs Microsoft BI

What is Oracle OBIEE?

OBIEE is a multifaceted network of tools that can create a more fluid and better-integrated data flow for your business. This service is actually a platform that is made up of six individual elements, rather than a single tool with multiple features. These services include: presentation catalog, BI presentation service, BI scheduler service, BI server service,administration client, and metadata repository.

The purpose of the OBIEE is to have an entire system for all of your enterprising needs. The various tools within the suite can take your data, organize it, analyze it and then glean the pertinent information from it, sending it on to the relevant parties who can then use it for metrics, pattern analysis, and future projections. The essence of the platform is to integrate your current IT together with their tools in order to give you the overall best return on investment with minimal fiscal obligations.

Oracle OBIEE is also known as OBIEE, Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition, Oracle BI, Oracle BI EE 11g.

Oracle OBIEE Buyer's Guide

Download the Oracle OBIEE Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

Oracle OBIEE Customers

Banca Transilvania, BeckmanCoulter, Hong Kong Housing Society, HealthShare, Ivanhoe Cambridge Unifies, and Home Credit, and Finance Bank.

Oracle OBIEE Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Oracle OBIEE pricing:
  • "The cost of this solution is a little bit high compared with other products like Zoho, so reducing it would make OBIEE more competitive."

Oracle OBIEE Reviews

Michael De Sousa
Head of IT at Obegi Chemicals Group
Feb 12, 2019
Expensive and it doesn't give us the flexibility to do what the business needs

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is to pull reports on different departments within the organization. It's very time consuming to find these reports within the IT team. Their team has also been limited to the number of people inside there, so the reports take a little bit longer. When the reports do come out, there are very little changes that can happen to these reports. You have to keep requesting changes to these reports. It is expensive and it doesn't give us the flexibility to do what the business needs. Sometimes we've got users that need to create their own reports and OBIEE needs… more »

• "We do you use Oracle support. We've been paying for an Oracle support subscription for four or five years, and not one ticket has ever been logged. When I came in, I've encouraged the team to ask Oracle questions. They do get back quite quickly. Their support is good. Working with our account managers, if I need to escalate anything, I can speak to them and they escalate the call. I've got that ecosystem working quite well. That does work for us."
  • "They should develop greater visualization because their visualization isn't industry leading at the moment. The way you pull the data and see the data compared to other platforms, they're lagging a little bit behind. Also, their cost. I've got Oracle account managers trying to persuade me every day to purchase these licenses. Once you purchase OBIEE, then you have to purchase the virtualization and then you have to purchase the mobile license to operate on the mobile. It's really expensive."

What other advice do I have?

It's a great product if the business requires it, but for our business and the environment that we're in, I'd give it a three out of ten because it just doesn't meet the criteria that we need. I'm very pro-cloud, a cloud platform would be really nice. I know Oracle does have a cloud analytics solution, and we've looked into them on how to move that over, but it's really expensive for the investment that they've already made into OBIEE. These days, IT leaders like myself, the new trend is a consumption model instead of an on-premise model. Using the cloud in consuming what you need, switching…
reviewer1405968
Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
MSP
Sep 14, 2020
Great machine learning capabilities on the cloud with good security mechanisms for larger organizations

What is our primary use case?

We mainly used the solution for their warehouse. OBIEE is a complete package and it includes OLAP analytics as well as OLTP. We use both features of OBIEE.

• "They are introducing AI. There are good forecasting features and machine learning."
  • "The solution is too expensive for small firms."

What other advice do I have?

We were using the latest version of the solution at this time. I would suggest that any company considering the solution carefully consider their budget first. The licensing is comparable to Microsoft. You need to make sure you can afford the solution. From my experience, OBIEE is the best solution. I have five-plus years of experience working with Oracle. If you are a giant firm, if you can afford this technology, so go for it. This is a good technology. They have various solutions for customers. They have financials. They have utilities as well. Oracle has a supply chain, they have a…
Learn what your peers think about Oracle OBIEE. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
457,209 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Robin Saikat Chatterjee
Head of Oracle Exadata Centre of Excellence at Tata Consultancy Services
Dec 19, 2020
Running Oracle OBIEE on Exalytics with in-memory caching coupled to a Repository on Exadata

What is our primary use case?

First Of I am an Administrator of OBIEE more than a developer or User, so my review will be more from that perspective. OBIEE is now not a big focus area for Oracle given that they now have various cloud PaaS solutions available such as Oracle Analytics cloud that does a similar job. However, OBIEE has always been a complex beast with a lot of not well-integrated moving parts.

• "The most valuable feature is the ability to run it in Exalytics within memory coupled to a Repository on Exadata is where it flies. So it's not meant for mom and pop shops, but if you are a global 500 fortune 1000 company, this is a tool that can get you what you need on time and even in real time."
  • "One significant improvement is the need for simplification. The set up could be more intuitive. An enterprise setup with HA and DR are pretty complex and to get a robust solution one has to play around with Real Application Cluster data sources and FAN notifications as well as WebLogic clustering and external load balancers. SSO also is not that simple to set up especially if you want all your Oracle systems to use the same SSO solution, i.e., no cheating with direct LDAP connectivity."

What other advice do I have?

OBIEE is a powerful BI tool, but it is not as agile as some of the newer PaaS based solutions, eg, Oracle Analytics Cloud. On a scale of one to ten with ten being the best, I'd give Oracle OBIEE a rating of 7 out of 10.
Ricardo Giampaoli
EPM/BI certified Consultant, Oracle ACE and TeraCorp Consulting CEO at TeraCorp Consulting
Dec 9, 2020
It's easy to manipulate and to create new dashboards.

What is our primary use case?

Very large and complexes environments implementation, 10000+ users with 24x7 global operation and multiple EPM tools working in sync.

What other advice do I have?

Because Oracle products are development frameworks, your final results are as good as the people who implemented it. Make sure that your implementation team is the best it could be, at least for the first implementation. If something is implemented incorrectly at the start, it'll cost you a lot more to fix than to build a new system from scratch. Sometimes it can be so badly designed that it is impossible to fix. I've been working on implementation for 20 years and I have seen bad implementations everywhere. In fact, I have seen the same tools implemented in the same team by two different…
reviewer1427955
Senior Consultant at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
MSP
Oct 8, 2020
Great condition-based analysis with good flexibility and pretty good technical support

What is our primary use case?

We implemented this solution for reporting purposes primarily. We got it for the client a few months back. This whole system is an EBS system. We used the solution to pull the data from the EDA source system and convert it. Once a data valid solution is developed, we model the data model using RCB, and then we create reports for the service contract module.

• "The solution is easy to use and very flexible."
  • "The solution needs to be easier to scale."

What other advice do I have?

I'm not the latest version of the solution, however, I do have information on the latest one as well. I'm using the 11G version. The latest one is 12C. I worked on it two years ago. Our company loves the benefits of this solution and has used it for a long time. Even with new products on the market, they continue to use the product. I'd advise companies considering using the solution to make sure they explore the product quite a bit before fully implementing it. Overall, I'd rate the solution at eight out of ten. Each version continues to get better and better. I would definitely give 10 out…
VaclavBiba
BI/DW Consultant at Neit consulting
Nov 3, 2020
Very user-friendly with good visualization and good technical support

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to take reports and for its dashboards.

• "The visualization is very good."
  • "The pricing model could be improved. Right now, it's quite confusing. Many customers have this feeling that it's a super-expensive option."

What other advice do I have?

We're an Oracle partner. Overall, I would rate the solution eight out of ten. The solution is better suited for medium or large organizations, mostly due to the high price tag. A smaller company would be hard-pressed to afford it. That said, I would recommend it to others to use.
reviewer1444320
Principal Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Oct 30, 2020
Good architecture for designing as per the needs of an organization

• "I like the architecture of this solution. RPV is a powerful feature in Oracle OBIEE. It lets us design as per the needs of the organization. I can have multiple presentation folders and presentation layers. I can have customization in a single node in VMware, which is a very good feature of Oracle OBIEE. It helps customers in designing as per their requirements."
  • "Even though we have a feature to enable the physical query to be seen in the log, in case of any issues, it is challenging to debug and see or identify where is the issue. For example, we designed the OBIEE repository and deployed it into the server, and we are now accessing and creating a report. For some reason, if the report is not working as expected, it is very difficult to identify the issue. We have a feature to see the physical query that is being generated in the central OBIEE server. I feel that this feature should have been available at the repository level so that while designing the repository, we can select the presentation columns and the query it is going to create. This will avoid the additional task of deploying a feature into the server and then testing the report. It will also make the implementation process friendly if, while designing the repository, we can see: How is a feature working? Are any of the presentation columns selected? How is the query being generated? Which query is being generated? Are any joints used? What kind of joints are used? Having this kind of information will make Oracle OBIEE more powerful and developer-friendly."

What other advice do I have?

It is a nice tool that can be modeled for each and every requirement. To be able to develop and deploy it quickly as per the customer needs, you should have the right implementation person who understands the customer's requirements and has a total understanding of the product. I would rate Oracle OBIEE an eight out of ten.
Kumar T
CEO & PRACTICE HEAD at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Jan 5, 2021
User-friendly tools for customizing dashboards

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and Oracle OBIEE is one of the products that we implement for our clients. We do not use it in our company. Our clients use it for management and business intelligence.

• "The most valuable feature is the user-friendly set of tools that the customer can use to develop their own business dashboards."
  • "The complexity of this product means that you need to have a technical team to develop the reports, although this is also true for products like Microsoft BI and Zoho."

What other advice do I have?

The suitability of this product depends on the client's objective and the complexity of the business. We also have to consider their budget. I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.
See 5 more Oracle OBIEE Reviews
Download our free Oracle OBIEE Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.