Oracle OBIEE Review

Great condition-based analysis with good flexibility and pretty good technical support

What is our primary use case?

We implemented this solution for reporting purposes primarily. We got it for the client a few months back. This whole system is an EBS system. We used the solution to pull the data from the EDA source system and convert it. Once a data valid solution is developed, we model the data model using RCB, and then we create reports for the service contract module.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution helps businesses to make a very quick analysis and can help them make business decisions quickly.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspect of the solution is the fact that hierarchies are centralized.

The solution offers a condition-based analysis. For example, if the user wants to see two reports on the dashboard based on different categories or different attributes, but they want to see one report at a time, using the condition-based development, they can do so.

From version 11G to 12C the solution has made a lot of improvements.

The solution is easy to use and very flexible.

What needs improvement?

In the 11G model, there are restricted visualizations, whereas in Oracle Analytics Cloud we have multiple different variations of visualization. If there was a way of presenting the data in a pictorial way, it would be very helpful. Right now, the solution, at least in that deployment model, is lacking a number of visualizations.

The solution needs to be easier to scale.

I've been using the solution for almost seven years at this point. The company itself may have used it for about 15 to 20 years now.

I haven't had much chance to really test the stability, however, I don't recall any instances of trouble.

Scalability is not that easy. We need to apply a batch. It would definitely take time to execute and to check all the reports or development work once the batch applied.

We've used technical support in the past and have been quite satisfied with their level of service. Overall, I would rate the solution eight out of ten. Occasionally, we would have issues that remained unanswered, however, it's rare.

The initial setup is not straightforward. It is complex. Oracle introduced another product called Oracle Analytics Cloud, and in that case, the installation of the product is very easy. Comparatively, this product's installation is difficult. It takes time and needs mission instants.

We set up the solution in-house. We didn't need to hire an integrator or consultant.

I'm not sure what the solution costs. I'm not involved with aspects of billing or contract negotiations. I don't know if we pay on a monthly or yearly basis.

I don't recall evaluating other options.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not the latest version of the solution, however, I do have information on the latest one as well. I'm using the 11G version. The latest one is 12C. I worked on it two years ago.

Our company loves the benefits of this solution and has used it for a long time. Even with new products on the market, they continue to use the product.

I'd advise companies considering using the solution to make sure they explore the product quite a bit before fully implementing it.

Overall, I'd rate the solution at eight out of ten. Each version continues to get better and better. I would definitely give 10 out of 10 for OASC, for example, which was recently launched, due to the fact that it is fully on the cloud.

More Oracle OBIEE reviews from users