Oracle OBIEE Review

Very user-friendly with good visualization and good technical support

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to take reports and for its dashboards.

What is most valuable?

The visualization is very good.

From an end-user perspective, it's a very user-friendly environment.

What needs improvement?

There are pages about its limitations in Gartner documents. My understanding is they are working to improve themselves. There aren't any really big issues and they're already in the cloud, therefore, largely there isn't too much that's lacking.

The pricing model could be improved. Right now, it's quite confusing. Many customers have this feeling that it's a super-expensive option.

Currently, the solution is based on three pillars. The first is the BI publisher and it used to be a single product. The second is Oracle and Oracle Business Intelligence, the core component. It used to be a CBO product. Then, thirdly, you have this new Oracle visual analyzer. Now, all of these are wrapped into one Oracle analytics product. However, the integration between (or among) these three products is not 100% complete. This is the area where improvements can be made.

I've been using the solution for more than ten years at this point. It's been a while.

It's pretty stable. Now that it's the cloud era, the company is supporting it 24/7. If there is any issue, it's very well supported. It's very stable in our eyes.

The support is quite good. You do pay for it, however, it's available when you need it. We're quite satisfied with the level of service provided.

I have some experience with Microsoft Power BI.

Power BI is more self-service BI oriented. It originated in the era of self-service BI. That's both a plus and minus, depending on what you are looking for. For example, if you prefer more self-service oriented solutions, you get more freedom with Power BI. You provide your business users with more freedom and that could be good or bad. It depends on the situation.

Oracle Business Intelligence comes from the era of more IT-driven business intelligence solutions. It's more metadata-driven. You can establish stronger governance with Oracle BI in terms of implementing policies and data, data filtering, data governance, and user rights, etc. Ironically, Power BI wants to have more options to be tightly governed, and Oracle is trying to be more self-service oriented.

The initial setup is not complex. It's pretty straightforward. Deployment typically takes three days or so.

The solution has a reputation for being expensive and has a confusing pricing model. There aren't extra fees on top of the main licensing costs, however.

What other advice do I have?

We're an Oracle partner.

Overall, I would rate the solution eight out of ten.

The solution is better suited for medium or large organizations, mostly due to the high price tag. A smaller company would be hard-pressed to afford it.

That said, I would recommend it to others to use.

More Oracle OBIEE reviews from users
...who compared it with Microsoft BI
Learn what your peers think about Oracle OBIEE. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,230 professionals have used our research since 2012.