Oracle OBIEE Review

Access role management is valuable feature; implementation is cumbersome, requires expertise

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for public reporting, creating a dashboard for our users so they can create their own reports. If they're using Tableau and other things, we give them a dashboard to use. It provides a structure or enterprise solution or framework, which gives you a free hand to create your own reports. We have some form of partnership with Oracle and I'm an ABB.

What is most valuable?

The ability for a user to create their own reports is one of the valuable features. The solution also allows you to manage your access roles, like permissions, directly from the port. There is also a separate enterprise manager where groups and other roles can be created and given access. Finally, if we have certain scripts, we can add chipping into that scheduling function as well as a dashboard and the like. In the newer version, there's a visual analyzer which is more Tableau driven and gives you a free hand. From a user perspective, it's an advantage and will provide us with an additional asset if we do upgrade.

What needs improvement?

Implementation is a little cumbersome and requires expertise. From the support perspective, it seems that they are a level behind. Another, thing is if you're working in the 12.2.1.3 version, fields don't come with proper venues and proper testing is lacking. For an additional feature, I'd like to see data science and functions added.

I've been using this solution for five years.

Most of the time the solution is stable but it depends on who is doing the set up configuration. A senior person will know how much memory is required, without that there might be problems. So lots of configuration files need to be optimized according to the usage. There may also be other parameters that need to be set up and if you are aware of this then the system will be stable.

This is a scalable solution.

Customer service is sometimes very good. At other times it's very, very dense and they ask for irrelevant information. It could definitely be improved.

The initial setup was quite complex and I didn't do it in one go because when we deployed something, there were some problems that needed sorting out and that took around five to six hours. Deployment probably took close to six hours. The deployment was carried out internally. In my department we have over 300 users and the solution is used on a daily basis.

This is an expensive solution and I think people tend to stop using this product as a result. Cost is a major factor in companies choosing other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

It's important to have an understanding of your requirements because if people are looking for visualization and realization, this is a very good solution that can work with thousands of users generally and can work on billions and billions of records.

I rate this solution a seven out of 10.

12.2.1.3
More Oracle OBIEE reviews from users
...who compared it with Microsoft BI
Learn what your peers think about Oracle OBIEE. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,230 professionals have used our research since 2012.