Oracle OBIEE Review

Exalytics and OBIEE, size does matter

What is most valuable?

Exalytics combined with Exadata server makes it possible to query ~ 50TB of datamart data (uncompressed size), that's really great and ~ 1000 of simultaneous requests.

How has it helped my organization?

In the past it was not possible to join data from so many different sources due to the performance limitations imposed by the size of the data

What needs improvement?

Self service BI. It's clear that Endeca tends to be integrated into BIFS and probably self-service functionality will be covered by Endeca.

3 years

Sometime copy-paste of report metadata is quite complicated.

No, scalability is a big positive for the product.

We didn't get into contact with support. From previous projects I have very various experience with Oracle support. It happened to me to get very helpful solutions almost immediately, in other cases, we were just ping-ponging emails, but no breakthrough.

The initial setup was pretty complex due to the fact that very complicated aggregation rules were defined, but I think this would have even more complicated to be implemented with other BI tools.

I was part of a vendor team.

N/A

We are not involved in this phase.

What other advice do I have?

Oracle BI combined with Exadata/Exalytics is a perfect tool for ROLAP/HOLAP type reports especially for extreme data sizes. I don't know any other tool suitable for that.