Oracle OBIEE Review
It provides some best in class features on paper, but it has various technical limitations.

Valuable Features

The features of OBIEE most important to me and my organization are Interactive Dashboards, Ad-hoc Analysis & Enterprise Reporting. We also extensively use the Repository services to create Data layers.

Improvements to My Organization

We have created various standard reports which are used extensively in my organization and help us to save upon duplication and data errors. OBIEE has also helped my organization to consolidate all the sources of data and create conformity between the data and hierarchy of all the sources.

Room for Improvement

One of the major areas for improvement on this product is that it should be made friendlier to the end user. Also, there should be a functionality added where we can provide a comprehensive user guide on the report itself rather than outside the dashboard.

Being a Business Intelligence Suite it provides some best in class features on paper, but after working upon its implementation in my organization for past year, I have understood that it has various technical limitations.

Use of Solution

I've used OBIEE 11g for one year and was trained for six months by Oracle and Internal Trainings.

As my organization works in the BFSI sector, the size of data that our systems produce every day is immense. I feel OBIEE is still not able to fully handle that amount of data and that creates deployment issues.

The overall OBIEE architecture is quiet stable. Although, we have faced issues infrequently where the application has crashed.

OBIEE is very scalable and can handle a large number of users simultaneously. Although, it gets slower on heavy usage on a lot of machines.

I would rate the Customer Service for OBIEE from Oracle support team at 8/10. They are quiet good at responding to the queries.

I would rate the Technical Support for OBIEE from Oracle support team at 6/10. A lot of times they would just ask to update to the latest version when asked for a specific functionality.

Previously we were using Peoplesoft based Nvision reports. The major reason for switching to OBIEE was that it was not a complete BI solution. Also, Oracle had stopped the support for Peoplesoft which made it more vulnerable.

Implementation Team

We had a mix of vendor team and in-house resources and both teams were working simultaneously. The vendor team worked well at the time of initial setup but recently we decided to roll off the majority of the vendor resources because of cost concerns.

Other Solutions Considered

We did evaluate other options such as Cognos, SAP BO. As all our database architecture is based on Oracle Based technologies such as Essbase, Hyperion etc, we went on to implement Oracle BI.

1 visitor found this review helpful

2 Comments

Gy├Ârgy KissReal UserTOP 20

What technical limitations did you meet?

03 March 15
Dan RingWriter

Hi -- I am a news writer at TechTarget.com. If you are available to be interviewed for a story on your implementation and use of Oracle OBIEE, please email me at dring@techtarget.com.

Thanks very much.