Oracle OBIEE Review

Analysts and developers can design reports and access the dashboard without installing an application. I would like to see more responsive interactive dashboards.

What is most valuable?

- Web-based features and the possibilities it offers to analysts and developers to design reports and access the dashboard from a web browser. No need to install an application onto your laptop.

- Self-serve interactive reporting

- Map-based visualizations (MapViewer)

- Mobile app designer

- Mobile security toolkit (you can download the sources and customize it and generate your enterprise iOS application)

How has it helped my organization?

It helps us in quick-wins development to get the trust of users.

What needs improvement?

- Make the interactive dashboards more responsive

- Give the possibility to deploy multiple RPD productions

- Allow hot deployment of repository file (RPD) without restarting services

5 years

- All the time. The upgrade process is not clear and I encountered issues in processing it.

- Charts require flash to be rendered, but by 11.1.1.9, we can turn off flash and use html chart.

-Yes, SAP BW (Business Explorer).

- We were looking for more user-friendly reports/charts and tools to speed up our development. OBIEE does that.

Initial setup was complex because we needed many components:

1) A database to store the OBIEE master data (MDS and BIPLATFORM schema)

2) A web logic server to host the Java component.

3) After that, you need to know how to start all components in sequential order:

Admin Server->Node Manager->Managed Server->opmnctl

In-house

SAP Business Object, IBM Cognos

What other advice do I have?

1) The integration with SAP BW is not so easy, but it's possible through XMLA.

So if your data warehouse is under SAP BW, you have to be careful in your choice of OBIEE because you will face integration and performance issues.

2) Also, the OBIEE Administration Tool is not for non-IT people. So you will need IT to design your repository properly before the analyst will be able to design reports and dashboard.

3) I found Tableau more user friendly and productive than OBIEE. So, I advise to also look there.

1 visitor found this review helpful