Jt hjyjg 400x400

Oracle OBIEE Review
It's essentially a queue-based data mining tool that allows all aspects of the business, to do a little more data analysis on our operational data.

Valuable Features:

The most valuable feature for us is the ability for endusers and superusers to do some deeper dives without IT intervention. It allows our users to be more responsible and to manage their data a little more responsibly without IT interference.

Improvements to My Organization:

OBIEE is essentially a queue-based data mining tool that allows all aspects of the business, from finance to manufacturing, to do a little more data analysis on our 24/7 operational data.

Room for Improvement:

I wish there was a way you could implement real-time data easier rather than through the ETL process. I know that Oracle's got their own ETL process that does have that feature, though.

Use of Solution:

We've been using it for a couple years now.

Deployment Issues:

We've had no issues with deployment.

Stability Issues:

I'd say it's pretty stable. With anything that's web-based, there are some issues with browsers, but nothing huge that's obvious.

But with some of the ETL processes, such as bringing in new pieces of data like cost categories, anything from the EBS Suite into the cube, you can get issues.

Scalability Issues:

We don't have that many functional users using it, so scaling has not been a true issue for us.

We use a third-party hosting solution. A lot of the setup in technical maintenance is all handled through them. I know we've logged several SR's for several OBIEE issues.

Initial Setup:

We set it up with the stock Oracle solution because we purchased a lot of the stock reporting cubes. We've slowly added our own custom ETL processes to pull data as needed. Since we're a 24/7 manufacturing company, there's a lot of data that wasn't there that we've had to slowly bring in. We're still fighting through a lot of it, and since it's not a priority service, it's kind of a secondary function. There's gain on it, but it's definitely lower on our priority list than a lot of the day-to-day, 24/7 operations.

Other Advice:

Make sure they understand the true use of it. Originally, we were shown the dashboard, all the great features that come with OBIEE and OBIA. But we weren't truly told what it takes to maintain it, what it takes to get valuable data for our company out of it. It's a lot more work than Oracle led us to believe at first.

0 Comments

Anonymous avatar x30

Have A Question About Oracle OBIEE?

Our experts can help. 233,024 professionals have used our research on 5,881 solutions.