Oracle OBIEE Review

End-users can cross the data from dimensional models with external Excel spreadsheets.

What is our primary use case?

Implementations were focused on reporting and centralizing all data delivery and access to the Business.

How has it helped my organization?

End-users can cross the data from dimensional models with external Excel spreadsheets, while from a BI strategy point of view this is not ideal since that Excel data should be incorporated in the DW, but from the end-user perspective, they gain some empowerment to explore and integrate the data

What is most valuable?

OBIEE is an enterprise Business Intelligence tool, the semantic layer is very organized which helps to provide the subject areas and how the end-user visualize the data.

What needs improvement?

The WebLogic administration could be more intuitive or simplified especially when you are focused on OBIEE

More than five years.

OBIEE requires a whole ecosystem to run smoothly, it requires a stable infrastructure with minimum compute power standards, and  Besides of having the right infrastructure(for the OBIEE application), the database setup (init params) is also important.

It is as stable as the knowledge the team has about the product and how to manage that,

Every project is has its own challenges, sometimes technical, sometimes acceptance, different environments , different approaches, different perceptions .

From a infrastructure perspective, from 11g version onwards OBIEE runs under weblogic where we have the DOMAIN concept, by default, after installation OBIEE runs under one node which represents the server where it is installed, and you have an option to scale up to other nodes, thus increasing the compute power .

The installation and initial setup requires specialist knowledge .

I have implemented through consulting companies .

not cheap but it is worth it