Oracle OBIEE Review

Facilitates access to data and reports with better insights into ops; speeds decision making

What is most valuable?

For me, it makes the difference is in terms of our users being able to take advantage of a product which allows you to get access to data, reports, make decisions quickly, and have better insights regarding operations.

We're using it since 2010 or 2011. From a functional point of view, as well as implementation, setting it up, configuring it, updating. We have gone through the entire lifecycle.

In the beginning it had it's stability issues, but it became stable. It's better now. I think we are in more of a "cruising" stage in our product lifecycle.

We did hire consulting services to help us implement. Then our superusers took it from there and went to a lot of sessions and user groups to better understand.

We think it will meet our needs moving forward.

Oracle support can be tricky. I would rate it as, maybe, six or seven out of 10. It's not the best.

Response time can sometimes take a little while. Redundant questions. As an experienced user, you can kind of tell what the problem is, versus... It's like they have a pre-written script, "Okay, this is what I need to ask you."

Yeah, we were using an old product that Oracle sunsetted, I believe.

This product, OBIEE, they acquired, they didn't build it. This is now their choice of tools for reporting. Before, they were using an Oracle product which was not the greatest. It was Excel-type stuff.

Surprisingly, this was straightforward. If you follow the implementation guide or installation guide, it was very well written, so we were good.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend that you get your end-users ready, because a lot of information is transparent with this tool, which gives them better insight regarding how their operations are running. They might find something that was not visible to them. It may mean negativity around improvement but take that as an opportunity. That's what my suggestion is. It's a powerful tool.

We are happy with it. I think that Oracle tried to compete, but they realized that there was a better product. Buying them (the better product) was a better choice (for Oracle), because it really provided a lot of users access to data quickly, and Oracle's former solution sometimes wasn't the greatest, so good stuff.