Oracle OBIEE Review

Connectors to different ERPs and a single dashboard with everything on it are pivotal

What is most valuable?

It's the connectors, the adapters. Built in connectors with different ERPs, you can plug in XL, other sources of data. It's very easy to configure. It's very easy to use.

It's so easy for us to see everything on a single dashboard, instead of looking for the information, and then compiling it in some sort of spreadsheet. We can just go on the dashboard and measure our success while looking at our financial data, even our HR data.

How has it helped my organization?

It's great. We are able to do a lot of analytics. We can set goals, annual goals, using this tool. It's very easy to create our dimensions and our facts and see which metrics are being hit and which are not.

What needs improvement?

I think Oracle has already come up with a couple of data visualization pieces, instead of just reporting. Today, I saw from a couple of versions of what they are coming out with. I think it's pretty cool. I think it satisfies all the business needs that we have.

Super stable. In the initial phase, 10 years back when we started using it, at that point, it was a bit finicky, but it's been perfect.

I think it was scalable enough.

I think, especially with Oracle OBIEE, we have not created any service requests that I know of. Maybe once or twice.

We have used their ERP as well and we had to create a lot of service requests, tickets. But with OBIEE, it's very easy to use, and we have not had that much trouble. The tool has been in the market for a while, it's very stable.

We were trying to use a custom based tool. That didn't work. Every time we had to make a minor change, a technical person had to be involved. A lot of different layers, and it was like product delivery. It was a continuous development. This was a big change for us. It was pretty much plug and play.

We needed some technical expertise, including me - I have some background in using different business value tools - so I knew. It was not that hard after reading their documentation. It was easy.

What other advice do I have?

The most important criterion when looking at vendors is their experience with bigger clients. That helps a lot. Lessons learned, they put it out there. They tell in their white papers. There's a lot of information out there to help you before you even decide to use a tool. That's great.

It satisfies 99% of the business measures related to analytics, reporting, and dashboard views; it satisfies all of those.

I would say first, analyze your business requirements and see if this is the right tool for you. There might be cheaper options, looking at your business requirements. Oracle is a big company. That's the most important piece of the puzzle, you have to look at your own requirements and see if everything meets your needs. Other than that, I think if your requirements are to have a tool which has dashboard capabilities, and you have analytical needs, and reporting needs, I think this satisfies pretty well.