Oracle SOA Suite Review

We're able to activate devices which need pass codes ourselves. It loads and works slowly, using huge amounts of CPU and RAM.

Valuable Features

It has an easy-to-use interface for development. SOA also includes many in-built technology adapters to connect and integrate with different technology servers.

Improvements to My Organization

This product has helped a lot with major integrations with different partners and clients. It's now easy to manage customers, order, bills, invoices, etc. We depend on it for registering devices and to sync their data. For example, we sell hardware devices that need pass codes for activation. To do this, we were using a third-party software/web service. With the SOA suite, we can activate the devices ourselves in no time.

Room for Improvement

As this is not the best product, it comes with minor or major bugs which Oracle keeps improving from time to time. For example, it loads and works slowly, using huge amounts of CPU and RAM. It'd like to see it work more smoothly in the next versions. Also, the support system could be improved, as tickets keep rolling, shift by shift for many days.

Use of Solution

I've used it for five years.

If everything if fine at code level, there are no deployment issues.

There are some stability issues. On a few occasions, it behaves abnormally and technical support is unable to come up with a proper solution. Just looking at logs and changing config files is not proper debugging.

Also, we have a specific Oracle SOA server that is not very stable even after following their best practices (which are sometimes very hard to follow).
But it's not a bad software, you just need a good admin to run it.

It scales sufficiently for us.

Customer service is good.

Technical support I would rate at 6-7 out of 10.

We did not use a previous solution.

The initial setup was not very straightforward and is a bit complex. During initial setup, many things need to be taken care of -- DB installation, dehydration store version, number of CPUs, RAM size, heap size, Java versions and their conflicts, and many other configurations. We have to follow each step carefully, and it's not the same for all servers.

Implementation Team

We implemented it with our in-house team.

ROI

I can't say what the ROI is. I don't work in that area.

Other Advice

You have to have patience and struggle with it, as with all technologies!

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are Oracle Platinum partners.