Oracle SOA Suite Review

I like the integration with Oracle Fusion middleware products and the native support.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features for us are the integration with Oracle Fusion middleware products and the native support.

Bringing all the data to central warehouse and generating reports that helps business to forecast business strategy is one of the most useful features.

How has it helped my organization?

We have manual sales order processing for customers and book new PO to supplier. Using Oracle forecasting tools and SOA Suite we have integrated our Order Management System and Forecasting System. BI reports helps business users to generate report and raise PO accordingly to fill the demand supply gap.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see more plug-and-play adapters, preferably similar to Cloud Integration's browser-based adapter. It saves time to cope with the ever growing business and to meet requirements in more a more agile manner.

We've been using it for the last eight years. Alongside SOA Suite, we're using Oracle AIA 11.1.1.7, ODI 11.1.1.7, OBIEE 11.1.1.9, Oracle Data Quality, OER, OSR, PeopleSoft, Oracle Applications 12R, Deloitte and Accenture are our implementation partners.

We have always seen issues around integration tools and it's difficult to resolve issues sometimes when things pile up.

We've had no issues with stability.

An effective alert mechanism needs to be put in place for deployment and to help scale environments.

Existing bugs have been identified proactively. However, in several SRs, we have seen intermittent delays for new products.

Our older systems were IBM Mainframe and SeeBeyond Solutions for integration between other systems. We have chosen the product from the stability and brand value.

The installation was very straightforward. We have encountered issues in the production environment for missing several configuration where we spent more time in streamlining all the environments.

We hired Oracle for a few of our implementations when we were setting up our in-house team. We began implementing with vendors and later on formed an internal team with knowledge transition. If you're a company that does not have COE in the areas that you are implementing, it's advisable to consult the vendor team for industry experts and gradually move the technology over.

Oracle does offer a competitive licensing price if you are purchasing a suite of products from them to maximize the ROI. However, if anyone chooses selective products from the stack, the percentage of ROI is less.

What other advice do I have?

In our enterprise, we have a mix of products and each product helps the business in different ways. It's advisable to measure the business needs first and then plan for the implementation, because once implementation starts with an older version by the time it stabilizes, the stack needs to be upgraded. Oracle product upgrades are not very straightforward. Sometimes there is a slight unwillingness from the stakeholders to stay on the updated version rather than continuing with the existing.