Oracle SOA Suite Review

The monitoring capabilities granted the business transactions more visibility over to the business users.

What is most valuable?

The ease of use, service virtualization capabilities, support for integrations with multiple communication protocols and applications, seamless integration with other Oracle products, mobile enablement, and cloud enablement are all features of SOA suite that provide us a lot of value. Also, starting in

How has it helped my organization?

Oracle SOA Suite has allowed for more productive development, allowing not only quicker release cycles, but also integration between systems and vendors that was previously done point-to-point.

The monitoring capabilities granted the business transactions more visibility over to the business users and proved useful for tracking KPIs as well as for managing SLA alerts when need be.

What needs improvement?

An area with some room for improvement is the development tool used (JDeveloper) with regard to stability.

Also, there are three administration consoles available with some overlapping functionality, which should be better segregated.

I have been using Oracle SOA Suite for around six years.

Deployment is very straightforward. The application server (Weblogic) provided mechanisms for remote deployment, which makes it possible to create provisioning scripts, greatly reducing deployment effort and

Overall the platform is stable. We haven't had any issues with instability.

Scaling is a breeze. It's very quick to add extra application servers without even having to make the system unavailable.

6/10 - Some interactions take too much time and end up forcing us to resort to workarounds to avoid impact on project milestones.

I have used a few other integration suites, such as JCAPS (formerly a Sun product) and TIBCO Business Works. SOA Suite is a much more complete solution and quicker evolving to fulfill the market's emerging needs. Oracle is putting a lot of effort in developing this product and bringing out new features and improvements on a regular basis.

There are two kinds of setups possible. The "Quick Start" and the "Regular" one. The first is targeted at individuals trying to get a glance at the product without too much time invested on installation and configuration. It comes with a development environment ready to use (including an integrated application server and a database) and is installed in a few minutes. The "Regular" setup is intended for production use (or other environments) and takes longer due to custom configurations that might be needed, but is well documented.

I have implemented and consulted on several implementation projects using Oracle SOA Suite. My main recommendation is to be trained and willing to learn, because there is so much that can be done with this product and the projects are always looking for long-term usage. Having more knowledge will result in implementing better architectures and problem-free solutions.

The most important for a quick ROI is to license according to your needs over the next one to three years. Don't get more products if there is no plan to use them immediately, or there is no skilled personnel to get value from them. Starting smart with licensing will be a big factor for determining the necessary time to get a ROI.

What other advice do I have?

Try it out and explore the existing features and how they would positively impact your business. Identify the use cases for the several products/components in the suite and see what makes sense for you to license and then build on it.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company is an Oracle platinum partner. We are involved in multiple projects across the globe, leveraging this technology's capabilities and also producing technical articles related to several Oracle products.