Oracle SOA Suite Review

It adapts different protocols easily with no coding.

What is most valuable?

I think adapting different protocols easily with no coding is the best feature of the middleware SOA Suite.

How has it helped my organization?

We have created an offering for our customers, leveraging industry standards in order to utilize the delivery for that.

What needs improvement?

It should provide better log management and an easier tool for configuration.

There are still some problems that are not covered. The login mechanism still creates issues when it is not configured properly. The monitoring in general is complex. I think that there are some integrations with the cloud and mobile that need to be taken care of.

I have found version 12c to be stable.

The organization by logical domains based on WebLogic is definitely a key factor for the scalability of the solutions.

Technical support is quite a stable process but sometimes there are not responsive, especially for the more urgent and critical cases. In that case, we usually escalate it with our partner.

I'm a system integrator, not a customer. We usually use it in order to provide middleware solutions to our customers. Basically, also based on analyst reports, SOA Suite is at the edge of the technology, so we invested in it.

Initial setup was really complex.

We also have looked at TIBCO, which is very strong as well, and WebSphere, but I think that is a niche player, especially in financials. At the moment, I think TIBCO is the most realistic competitor for Oracle, apart from all of the open-source solutions.

When I’m looking at a vendor such as Oracle to work with, the most important criteria are scalability, reliability, maturity and also support.

What other advice do I have?

Ask for Accenture support. We have tons of experience at the moment in the team and in the regions, in Europe, especially. I think that the best solutions start with the configuration, in terms of high availability that is similar to production, in order to test all the configurations sent in from development.

During the last five years, the product has improved a lot. At the moment, it's a very natural product; a lot of very good features at the high end of the market.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We're partners with Oracle