Oracle SOA Suite Review

It combines a lot of commonly used apps from a business perspective.

What is most valuable?

It encompasses a lot of different apps. The key is that it combines a lot of commonly used apps, from a business perspective, for example, business logic implementation such as people or reporting. They made it lot easier. From a development perspective, the tools are pretty good.

What needs improvement?

My one big improvement would be to make the ID tool that the developers use to develop a lot of these applications better. It could be more stable and the performance can be improved. As a developer, me and my team face the most challenges installing it. It's very memory intensive and it crashes a lot. They could definitely improve on that.

I have been using it for 8-9 years.

Parts of it are stable. When they release a new version, it can be unstable. A lot of times we have seen that, even though they claim in the documentation to have implemented or enhanced certain things, when you start actually implementing it, you realize it's not really been done. For each major release – for example, from 10 to 11 or 11 to 12 – there can be some performance and stability issues in the initial phase. But, overall the patches and the releases are pretty stable.

It’s scalable. It will meet the company's needs moving forward.

Technical support is okay. I would think they could do better. They have a way of raising service requests with Oracle. Every time you raise one, you lose a lot of time when they go through their standard routine before you actually reach a person who knows stuff and you can actually start moving forward. I believe you lose a lot of time just getting to the right person and start going forward. They could work on that for sure. I’m thinking it’s an Oracle specialty.

The initial setup is pretty good, actually, and it's very well documented.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good product, but still also mind your business needs and your business case. I don’t suggest jumping for it right away. Evaluate how much value it can add for your organization.