Oracle VM Review

Oracle VM was chosen mostly due to licensing issues and it is based on the stable Xen.

What is most valuable?

It reduces the licensing cost for other Oracle products, and because it's based on Xen, it has no performance problems.

How has it helped my organization?

We've been able to use it successfully for deployment of our online application.

What needs improvement?

It needs automatic migration that's similar to VMware vMotion. The DRS feature in VMware migrates virtual machines based on the load on the hosts. Oracle VM does not have this feature, and I don't want users complaining about the performance bottleneck due to the load on the host.

We've been using it for three years.

I deployed it within a week and didn't have any issues with it.

Thankfully, everything was stable in spite of my limited knowledge.

We had no issues scaling it for our needs.

The customer service was good.

We also use VMware products, which I personally prefer. VMware products are an administrator's dream. They have thought of everything, including DRS, HA, templates, and virtual machine deployment. It is very easy to do all these tasks.

The initial setup was a bit of both straightforward and complex, but it's easy if you know VMware.

I carried out the implementation.

It reduces the licensing cost for Oracle products, though I still prefer VMware.

Oracle VM was chosen mostly due to licensing issues and it is based on the stable KVM product of Red Hat.

What other advice do I have?

VMware is the best, but for saving license costs for Oracle products, Oracle VM is good and stable.