Oracle VM Review

Oracle VM was chosen mostly due to licensing issues and it is based on the stable Xen.

Valuable Features:

It reduces the licensing cost for other Oracle products, and because it's based on Xen, it has no performance problems.

Improvements to My Organization:

We've been able to use it successfully for deployment of our online application.

Room for Improvement:

It needs automatic migration that's similar to VMware vMotion. The DRS feature in VMware migrates virtual machines based on the load on the hosts. Oracle VM does not have this feature, and I don't want users complaining about the performance bottleneck due to the load on the host.

Use of Solution:

We've been using it for three years.

Deployment Issues:

I deployed it within a week and didn't have any issues with it.

Stability Issues:

Thankfully, everything was stable in spite of my limited knowledge.

Scalability Issues:

We had no issues scaling it for our needs.

The customer service was good.

Previous Solutions:

We also use VMware products, which I personally prefer. VMware products are an administrator's dream. They have thought of everything, including DRS, HA, templates, and virtual machine deployment. It is very easy to do all these tasks.

Initial Setup:

The initial setup was a bit of both straightforward and complex, but it's easy if you know VMware.

Implementation Team:

I carried out the implementation.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

It reduces the licensing cost for Oracle products, though I still prefer VMware.

Other Solutions Considered:

Oracle VM was chosen mostly due to licensing issues and it is based on the stable KVM product of Red Hat.

Other Advice:

VMware is the best, but for saving license costs for Oracle products, Oracle VM is good and stable.

2 Comments
IT Administrator at a university with 1,001-5,000 employeesReal User

Oracle VM is based on Xen, not KVM. Needless to say I stopped reading after I saw the title.

16 October 16
Systems administrator - Microsoft, Redhat, VMWare, Oracle VM at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employeesReal UserTOP 20

Thank you. It was an oversight.

17 October 16